[Howto][Build] Install "ChessX" app using QT framework

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
meteorrock

[Howto][Build] Install "ChessX" app using QT framework

Post by meteorrock »

I am going to show you how to build an app or program from source using its tarball called ChessX. This is a more modern up to date chess app for us using Linux Mint 14.1 and Ubuntu 12.10. This is another nice chess gaming app I just compiled and looking over. I will help you along on installing this app for yourself too. Here is the download .tar for this app. http://chessx.sourceforge.net/?q=node/3

First, lets go over QT framework. It is a framework windows system and Graphical user interface for apps and programs. The QT framework is a more modern looking and slick looking interface for those using modern Desktop environments, like Mate 1.4 and up and Cinammon. It can also go along great with other Desktop environments also out today for Ubuntu. We can get this framework from the apt-get in our terminal, as it has a repository for us. Here is the code.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev qt4-qmake cmake r-base-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev
This is a list of all of the packages you will need to install this app or program using the QT framework environment on your Desktop. Libqt4-dev is the QT framework itself, qt4-qmake is your tool to compile this app, cmake is a cross compiler for compiling your framework, rbase-dev is a database program for the linux box PC or other PCs. Libcurl4 is a computer software project providing a library and a command-line tool for transferring data using various protocols. GnuTLS-dev is a secure communications library implementing the SSL, TLS and DTLS protocols, as this chess app will be using the internet on various online sites. You can Google up each tool for a more in-depth explanation on wiki sources.

To check and make sure you installed the QT framework correctly, use this code below .

qmake -v
That should give you your version.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Extract this file "chessX" into the folder of your choice, downloaded earlier above through my link out. You can use your archive manager that comes now with linux and Ubuntu. Remember we will have to use the <cd> command (change directory) to "mount" this file in our terminal later with your path variable. Mine was extracted into the /home/meteorrock/chessX/ folder.

The example you will need to mount that file to use the cmake and make commands later will be something like this using my path variable above. Of course your path will be slightly different than mine, unless you named your computers folder after my username :)

cd /home/meteorrock/chessX
Now lets compile this app using qt framwork like this, Remember the cd command above, mount that file first. :)

qmake

make
You will see code fly into your terminal showing its building. Wait until its finished. It can take a few minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

To run this program, go to the "release" folder for this app, where it was extracted before and you will see an emblem in there named "ChessX" or whatever. Click on it and enjoy.

Phoenix Rising

Re: [Howto][Build] Install "ChessX" app using QT framework

Post by Phoenix Rising »

lulzzzz that kitty is soooo cutie ⊕ ¤ ☼ o O ♋ ㊝ ► ◄ ✿ ﻬ ஐ ✲ ღ ☃ ■↔ ↕ ↘╬『』☃ ❣••● ➸ ❝❞ ﹌

bump this will help others learn linux codez.

Return to “Tutorials”