Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

How To: Make your own grub background

Postby 67GTA on Sun May 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install imagemagick

Imagemagick uses a tool called "convert" that does the work for you. You can use any picture. Some resolutions may not look good though. It is better to use a picture that is at least 640x480. Most people won't want to mess up their pretty Mint gfxboot screen, but if you have another distro that doesn't use gfxboot, this comes in handy if you want a custom grub background.

Open a terminal and run this command. Insert the path to your picture you want to use where is says "wallpaper.png".

Code: Select all
convert -resize 640x480 -colors 14 wallpaper.png splashimage.xpm && gzip splashimage.xpm

The new grub splash image will be located in your home folder.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How To: Make your own grub background

Postby Tech-Mike on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:08 am

The Gimp is also capable of creating or converting images usable for graphical grub
Tech-Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Using The Gimp To Make your own grub background

Postby Tech-Mike on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:24 am

Requirements for GRUB splashimages:

1. xpm.gz file type
2. 640x480
3. 14 colors only

1. Gzip your xpm file and put it into your /boot/GRUB directory (or to any directory of a /dev/hda1 partition). (do: `gzip myfile.xpm`)
2. Edit your GRUB config file (aka /etc/GRUB.conf) and add this line:
splashimage=(hd0,0)/GRUB/myfile.xpm.gz
NOTE: Change the partition and directory according to your system's setup.
3. reboot and cross your fingers

Only 14 colors... How do I do that?

To get GIMP to use only a 14 color palette, right click on your file and press ALT+I and put 14 where it says "Generate Optimal Palette:" on the top of the menu. If ALT+I doesn't get you there then right click on the image and go to:

Image-->Mode-->Indexed

Specify you want 14 colors and then if you want (*recommended*) select NO DITHERING. This will tell the gimp not to try to guess colors in between areas. It is also possible that you tell them gimp what colors you want in your 14-color pallete, I actually had to do this for one of my images and I replaced a dark color for a light one. :) The GIMP ROCKS!

Does it have to be filename.xpm.gz?

Not really. GRUB just provides automatic unzip'ing functionality. How you think your bzImage kernel images get's loaded? Heh. So that's just a feature and it's good practice. According to `info GRUB` it does loads quicker. The reason for loading quicker is that -believe it or not- compressed files load quicker on today's computers than uncompressed files. Why? Well because the amount of time it takes for today's average computer to read from the hard drive an uncompressed (thus bigger) file is longer than the amount of time it takes for it to read a smaller hard area on the hard drive + pass it onto main memory + uncompress it with CPU power. Well anyway, you can still leave your xpm images uncompressed, they should work fine (they did when I tested them).

Can I change the foreground and background color of the menu?

Yes you can. Just put something like the following in your menu.lst file:

foreground = ffffff
background = 000000

****This is a summary taken from http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/grub-images/****
Tech-Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Tutorials / Howtos