Small Fix: Google Searchbar (Replacing Mint Custom Search)

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Small Fix: Google Searchbar (Replacing Mint Custom Search)

Postby Phosgene on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Okay, this is a quick little walkthrough of how to change the Google toolbar in Firefox from searching using the Linux Mint custom search to using the normal google.com website.

An alternative to this fix is to reinstall the regular version of Firefox, however like myself, many people may find this inconvenient. So here is a simple way to change the search.

-Firstly, download the new google.xml from the following link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ALOY4WHZ

This file will be replacing the existing google.xml file found in /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/searchplugins so if you are relatively experienced, you will not need to be told how to replace the file, for everybody else: read on.

-Save the file above to the desktop or your preferred location.

-cd to the location of the .tgz then untar it using:
Code: Select all
tar -xzvf googlesearch.tgz

-cd to the folder googlesearch/ with:
cd googlesearch/

-Next, the most important part, we need to move the file inside this directory (google.xml) to /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/searchplugins making sure that we overwrite the old google.xml file. We need to make sure you have root privilages for this so type the command:
sudo mv google.xml /usr/lib/firefox-3.0/searchplugins

You should be prompted for your password but otherwise this will be done without being prompted, otherwise say yes or y to any prompts that asks any questions along the lines of 'are you sure you want to replace google.xml with google.xml'. If you prompted with something along the lines of not having the privileges to replace the file, then you need to make sure that you are root and try again.

Once you have replaced the file, close firefox and reopen it, entering a search term in the google toolbar should use standard google.com as opposed to the Linux Mint custom google search. This fix also replaces the mint google image search to the standard google image search.

This fix has been tested by myself and it works, if you encounter any problems or request for uploading the file to a different website (Rapidshare or Mediafire etc.) just ask and I will assist to the best of my ability.

Good luck and thank you.

EDIT: Something important I missed is that all this can be done via Nautilus or whatever GUI program you may use to manage your files, this way normally involves alot of right clicking and selecting from menus, so it is self explanatory if you opt. for the GUI route.
Phosgene
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Small Fix: Google Searchbar (Replacing Mint Custom Search)

Postby eeezzzeee on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Thank you for posting this. Not that I am interested in changing it, I just hope it will stop the posts asking and/or complaining about this. :wink:
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"
eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Tutorials