I just got back into Linux, it has been a long time. This is a short tutorial for how I set up my system.
The first post will simply be setting up Cinnamon 2.0, as I imagine this is what all the nerds are stoked for. Just keep in mind that I jumped from 1.8.6 to 2.0, not 1.8.8. Also, this was from a fresh install, after I set up my proprietary drivers for ATI on a 64bit system. I might have unnecessary steps, but at the end of the day Cinnamon 2.0 was up and running so whatever.
1: Open Synaptic Package Manager
2: Type in OpenCV in the search box
3. Find python-opencv package and Mark for Installation
4. Apply Changes
5. Close Out of Synaptic Package Manager
6. Open Up Terminal
7. Copy and Paste(You can paste in terminal by simply right clicking and selecting paste from the dropdown menu) sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
8. Close out of terminal
9. Re-Open Synaptic Package Manager
10. Go To Settings->Repositories
11. Deselect all except for the two gwendal-lebihan-dev repos, click OK
12. In the search box, type Cinnamon, you should now see that it's current version is 2.0
13. Mark for install, and Apply changes.
14. Open up Terminal
15. Type sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
16. Reboot system
17. When you get to User selection click the DE selector (its the middle icon in the bottom left corner of the user selection screen)
18. Select Cinnamon
Edit: I did have a few problems with my Repositories after this. You can fix repository errors through the manager. To access the manager simply type in software-properties-gtk from the terminal.