How-to Keep nVidia resolution after reboot.

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
TerminusEst

How-to Keep nVidia resolution after reboot.

Post by TerminusEst »

Hi there guys.

Been awhile with this matter, and it annoyed me for a time. But now, I got it! And did it on my own, none of the how-to's and tips out there worked at all. Let's see what I did:

First, backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a safe place. Then, start nVidia settings and change the resolution to what you want it to be, press the "Save to X Configuration File" button, BUT DON'T SAVE IT! Instead, press the Preview button, right above the dialog box. Now, the trick: open your xorg.conf and search for a block called "Screen". Compare this block with the Preview nVidia did: see the difference? Carefully delete that block from the xorg.conf and paste the nVidia preview one on its place. Remember the block begins with the word "Section" and ends with "EndSection", this syntax must be preserved.

There is a block called "Device" on your xorg.conf. But the nVidia one shows two blocks named "Device". Simply paste the block that lists your VideoCard model from the nVidia preview to below the block "Device" from xorg.conf. It should be like this:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Device0"
	Driver		"nvidia"
	Vendorname	"NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 6800 GS"
EndSection
So, your xorg.conf now has two blocks named "Device".

Now, cross your fingers like I did and restart your PC. If everything went OK, it should start with the previous resolution before you restarted it.

Hope this works for you too, pals. Ah, remember to enter the X11 folder as root, or you won't be able to save the xorg.conf. If something got wrong, restore the old xorg.conf you saved before. You did saved it, didn't you?

Cya.
Husse

Re: How-to Keep nVidia resolution after reboot.

Post by Husse »

I'm sorry but this is not right at all - if it worked it's more by chance
I'll return to this topic - sitting in the garden with my lappy now - don't have all the helpful links
What perhaps is missed here - and that is easy to understand - is that you have to run nvidia-settings as root

gksu  nvidia-settings
The advice to back up your xorg.conf is a good advice as nvidia-settings is not nice to special settings for mouse and keyboard
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

Ah, remember to enter the X11 folder as root, or you won't be able to save the xorg.conf
I pointed that. Or you wont be able to save the file to the xorg.conf. Running the nvidia-settings as root won´t change the final result, and you still won´t be able to save the file unless you open the X11 folder as root. The trick is not let the nvidia-settings save the file by itself, but paste the changes it did to the original xorg.conf, keeping the special settings like mouse, keyboard and composite settings.

Cya.
Husse

Post by Husse »

still won´t be able to save the file unless you open the X11 folder as root.
Wrong - or you have a bug - I've done it many times, perhaps not in Elyssa though but that does not change anything
To save a file outside home - as in /etc/X11 you do not have to open the folder as root - but you have to open the tool to treat the file as root.
This however is important
keeping the special settings like mouse, keyboard and composite settings.
nvidia-settings wipes that out, but should do a backup....
I don't want to bash you only point out what's necessary and what's not
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

Ok, I got your point. But, anyway, we must not let the nvidia-settings save the changes itself, opened as root or not, 'cause it will mess everything up.

And while we are here, perhaps you can help me with a matter: I have a nForce 4 chipset which comes with 5.1 channels, but no sound whatsoever. Still, the front speakers, if I change the connection at the rear panel, is working. But that is just for common speakers, stereo. My connector are like this:

OSub/Center OSide Speakers ORear Speakers

OPink OGreen OBlue

The upper ones are the ones used on a 5.1 channel, and the middle one below is the normal, the green jack. Well, if I connect any speaker of my 5.1 system into the green, it will play. But no sound plays when I connect them at the right places.

Any clue?

Thx in advance

Edit: Hours googling and nothing worked... Ah... I'm tired man, a lot of things I left behind to keep using linux. It's so cool the special effects, the stability, the virus-proof... but is so hard to make things work with it.

I have no choice but go back to windows if I can't make these 5.1 speakers work here. I won't waste my money buying something and not be able to use it.

This is it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah - unfortunately one cannot trust nvidia-settings
Ive got an ASUS K8N4-E which is nforce4 and I use a 2+1 system connected to green. (I think ASUS calls it Lime)
This (of course ?) works well
One guy writes
I was modding my box and had removed the front panel audio connections from my mobo. Having no connectors, I've learnt, disables the back panel audio unless you use jumpers across 5/6 and 9/10. Also, ensure that onboard sound is enabled (or auto) in your BIOS menu.
Furthermore what's the result of

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd
Anything? If nothing you've got a problem
Update your system

sudo aptitude update
and possibly

sudo aptitude upgrade
followed by

sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` linux-generic
There is something odd going on with sound and these modules in Elyssa/Hardy
Some people are helped by this
You may also have to select sound card
switch between CK804 and ALC850 - you probably have both
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

don wrote:I ran nvidia-settings and it messed up my display big time . To get back to ground zero i ran X -config -configure and all is OK , but basic settings.
don
You must reinstall the nvidia driver. I used EnvyNG with no problems, just get an internet connection, chose your card and voilà, everything fine again.
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

Husse wrote:Yeah - unfortunately one cannot trust nvidia-settings
Ive got an ASUS K8N4-E which is nforce4 and I use a 2+1 system connected to green. (I think ASUS calls it Lime)
This (of course ?) works well
One guy writes
I was modding my box and had removed the front panel audio connections from my mobo. Having no connectors, I've learnt, disables the back panel audio unless you use jumpers across 5/6 and 9/10. Also, ensure that onboard sound is enabled (or auto) in your BIOS menu.
Furthermore what's the result of

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd
Anything? If nothing you've got a problem
Update your system

sudo aptitude update
and possibly

sudo aptitude upgrade
followed by

sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` linux-generic
There is something odd going on with sound and these modules in Elyssa/Hardy
Some people are helped by this
You may also have to select sound card
switch between CK804 and ALC850 - you probably have both
I have a bunch of that snd modules on /lib/modules. So, I think the problem isn't the system being outdated.

My mobo comes with those jumpers by default, and I didn't remove them 'cause I don't use front connectors. Besides, yesterday I managed to get the front side speakers working, the one with black jack, but with a low and staggering sound - today it didn't work anymore.

Searching on the asus site, I found they released a sound driver for linux for my mobo, so I downloaded it and did everything the readme.txt. said. The last thing is to reboot the system, and break my 23 days up record...

I will reboot now. Feedback soon.

Edit: no success here... oh my...
Husse

Post by Husse »

I found (or rather found again) a trick
Seems like pulse audio does not "go beyond" stereo unless you tell it to
so

gksu gedit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
The third line from the bottom up is
; default-sample-channels = 2
Change that to
default-sample-channels = 6
Remove the ; to uncomment and change to 6 to ready it for 5+1 (4 for 3+1 and 7 for 6+1)
Then you have to go through all settings for sound
Double click the volume meter in the panel
Make sure the “ALSA” mixer is selected. Go to File, Change Device, and select the one that contains “Alsa Mixer”.
Check that the appropriate channels are enabled - Make sure you have at least the following selected: Master, Front, Surround, Center, and LFE (and Side if using 7.1 sound)
Hope this helps
Oh - some applications may have to be configured to use surround - most not but it seems Totem must be configured
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

Well, looks like it worked, partially...

I get sound from the rear, central and subwoofer ones, but the front speakers are missing. My connector are like this:

orange O black O gray O

pink O green O blue O

The orange and the black aren't getting any signal, only the gray (rear speakers) and green (sub and central). In true, I was not supposed to use the green jack, but the orange jack (sub and central). But since it doesn't work, let it be... Now, the black jack must work, or I won't have my front speakers working.

Any idea? Perhaps a variable on some conf. file?

I'm attaching some SS's to show you how my settings looks like.

http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... 2.png.html

http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... t.png.html

Thx man.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hmm I only have
pink O green O blue O
on my ASUS mobo I think - the box is under my desktop - the "real world one" :) so it's a bit hard to crawl in and look. When the system is running I can't move the case....
TerminusEst

Post by TerminusEst »

Hey man, it worked now! I ran a command to repeatedly send different sound to each speaker, then I plugged and unplugged each jack to see what would happen. I discovered the black jack is only for 7.1. For 5.1 the right is: green (front), gray(rear) and orange(sub/center). Then I toggled between various options on Pulse Audio Settings, and discovered that I enabled the 'duplicate front" option, which was making my rear sound disappear.

Thank you so much, man. I was worried to be forced to go back slowindows again. The menace is gone!

Thx man.

Edit: Oh, it worked only to play music... my mplayer seems to be misconfigured to play video. I changed all the settings, but none worked. I guess I'm missing something...

Any final idea?

Return to “Tutorials”