Avant Window Navigator (AWN)

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Avant Window Navigator (AWN)

Postby cathbard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:28 pm

Avant Window Navigator

AWN is a dock that looks a lot like the one in mac osx. (see below). It exists in the Hardy repo but unfortunately the extra applets didn't make it in so I will also explain how to install the version directly from the awn testing team's repo.
For AWN to work you need to have compiz running. I won't go into that here because that is explained elsewhere.

Installation

Standard
To install the standard version from the default repos in mint issue the following command in a terminal:
Code: Select all
apt install avant-window-navigator awn-manager

Most Current
To install the one from the awn team you will have to add their repo to your sources.list. To do that open a terminal and enter:
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and add these lines:
For Mint 5 Elyssa:
## awn-testing
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu hardy main
For Mint 6 Felicia:
## awn-testing
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/awn-testing/ubuntu intrepid main
(you can leave the last line out if you like, it's just if you want the source code)
Save it and then type in a terminal:
sudo gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv 7D2C7A23BF810CD5
sudo gpg --export --armor 7D2C7A23BF810CD5 | sudo apt-key add -
apt update
apt install avant-window-navigator-trunk awn-extras-applets-trunk awn-manager-trunk

You are now ready to run it. You will find it in the Accessories menu in mintmenu. If you want to autostart it right click on the menu entry and check "Launch when I log in".

Configuration

Once running you will want to configure it to your liking. Right click on the awn panel and choose "Dock Preferences"
The awn manager is broken up into four sections accessible from the tabs on the left
1. General
Startup behaviour: This should start awn automatically but doesn't always work. It is easier to do this from the mintmenu as described earlier
The other options in these panels are pretty self explanatory. You should just experiment because they really are just a matter of personal taste. Try some of the Icon Effects, they are pretty cool. My personal favourite is "3D Turn"
2. Applets
This is where the awn-testing repo shines.If you are using that version you will have a lot more applets to choose from. Simply click on the ones you want one at a time and hit the activate button. Similarly, to remove them once activated click on the applet in the bottom panel and hit the deactivate button.
You can change the order by dragging and dropping the icons in the bottom panel.
**If you want to add application launchers to the panel make sure that you add the Launcher/Taskmanager applet.**
3. Launchers
You can add custom application launchers by clicking on the "Add" button and enter the details. The order of the launchers can be changed by simply dragging and dropping the launchers in the list.
There is an easier way but it requires adding the normal gnome menu to the gnome panel (by right clicking on the gnome panel and selecting "Add To Panel" and then selecting "Main Menu" from the list) so you can drag and drop the apps directly onto the awn panel. You could of course do this and then remove the gnome menu once you have finished
4. Themes
There are no themes installed by default but they are easy to add. Simply download the themes you like somewhere and then click the "Add" button in the awn manager and navigate to the folder whee you saved the downloaded themes. Then it is simply a matter of checking the select box for the theme and hitting the Apply button.
Themes can be downloaded from:
The awn wiki
Gnome Look (and search for "awn theme")

Have fun!
Last edited by cathbard on Sat May 16, 2009 9:26 am, edited 8 times in total.
"A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a divorce." - Don Quinn
cathbard
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Avant Window Navigator (AWN)

Postby msuggs on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Thanks cathbard, nice how-to :)

How stable do you find the trunk branch?

Which awn theme do you use? tis nice
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cathbard on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:37 pm

The awn-testing (trunk) branch is pretty stable. I've had one hiccup but it was fixed in a mintupdate the next day. It gets updated quite regularly.
That theme is Simple Glass. I think I made some minor mods to it but not a lot.
"A bachelor is a selfish, undeserving guy who has cheated some woman out of a divorce." - Don Quinn
cathbard
Level 3
Level 3

Postby msuggs on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 am

Sweet :)

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jlbethuram on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:19 am

I am trying to install AWN mint 5.0 and I get this...
cameron@cameron-desktop ~ $ sudo apt install avant-window-navigator awn-manager
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
avant-window-navigator: Depends: libawn0 (>= 0.2.1)
E: Broken packages

any help would be wonderful!
jlbethuram
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:25 am

Did you check the package manager to see if libawn0 installed?

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
avant-window-navigator: Depends: libawn0 (>= 0.2.1)
E: Broken packages
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby chowanec on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:48 am

Anyone know if it is possible somehow to get the mint main menu running in awn? I've grown SO accustomed to it that the other main menu options via awn just feel awkward... :P

Thanks.

-Chow
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Postby cathbard on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:21 am

chowanec wrote:Anyone know if it is possible somehow to get the mint main menu running in awn? I've grown SO accustomed to it that the other main menu options via awn just feel awkward... :P

Not so easy but lars did say he might do an awn applet for mintmenu eventually. If I see him in irc I'll remind him.
cathbard
Level 3
Level 3

Postby revdjenk on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:01 pm

in Mint 6, with awn extras installed, I have AWN main menu, which when added to the awn menu has the nice 3d good looking menu system I believe you are seeking.

God bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:25 am

how do I uninstall the new awn trunk - I am having issues and not worth the hassle.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby chowanec on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Me too, actually. I cannot open awn preferences any longer...?
chowanec
Level 3
Level 3

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:12 pm

tried every way I know to uninstall and nothing - still in menu and even synaptic doesn't recognize awn is loaded, etc.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Da Chef on Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:40 pm

I followed all the instructions and when i got to the last code to input in the terminal i got this error message:
Err http://download.tuxfamily.org gutsy/avant-window-navigator Packages
404 Not Found
Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com felicia/import Packages
Err http://download.tuxfamily.org gutsy/avant-window-navigator Sources
404 Not Found
Fetched 40.0kB in 1s (21.3kB/s)
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7D2C7A23BF810CD5
W: Failed to fetch http://download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://download.tuxfamily.org/syzygy42/ ... Sources.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
chef@chef-tech ~ $ apt install avant-window-navigator-trunk awn-extras-applets-trunk awn-manager-trunk
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
whats up with all this? can i just use the package manager?
Da Chef

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 am

this AWN is a 'Beware: try it at your own risk' thing! edit: or, 'Good luck sucker!'
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby EKMA on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:09 pm

is there a way to put AWN at the top of the screen in Mint? I went through all of the properties and can't seem to find anything saying you can...I like AWN but it takes up too much space on the bottom. If you autohide, it has an issue pulling back up to the screen. Anybody moved it up there?
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:52 am

The Awn wiki has an entry on how to adjust the horizontal position, however the vertical position is fixed.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby EKMA on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:21 pm

thanks for the reply...did some searching and noticed that they are going to (at least they developer says they are) add it to version 0.4.0....hopefully we'll see it implemented as it gets in the way at the bottom...have always found it to be less obtrusive at the top of the screen (personally that is).
EKMA
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:27 pm

EKMA wrote:is there a way to put AWN at the top of the screen in Mint?

Fraid not, nor on any other distro either. I was reading their website yesterday and it is on their wishlist but not possible at the moment. They also recognise that autohide is buggy, just don't use it.

I have 0.3.2 running on Mint at the moment and it is great, a big improvement on 0.2.6, but I had to install it from source to get it going and it wasn't easy, masses of dependencies. Like you I had problems with 'trunk'.

You have to accept AWN as being under development, not everything works, but when you compare it to the competition (cairo and docky) it is still miles in front as far as I am concerned.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby miket on Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Hi All,

Just a note that you need to add a gpg key to your system for the PPA for Mint 6 that
Cathbard has quoted in the first article, to do this open a terminal and enter the following commands:

sudo gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv 7D2C7A23BF810CD5
sudo gpg --export --armor 7D2C7A23BF810CD5 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby revdjenk on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 pm

autohide works for me for the past three months...with little problem....every so often, it doesn't slide back down...but mousing over it sets it back down.

God Bless
Doug
Malachi 3:10 NRSV
...says the LORD of hosts... I will not open...windows...for you...

Linux user since 2001 pda; 2006 lappy
revdjenk
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Tutorials / Howtos