REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Postby Tejas_0 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:55 pm

austin.texas wrote:TIP: a "hard reboot" is not a good thing. You can try the REISUB method. Hold the ALT and PRINT SCREEN keys down, and enter REISUB on the keyboard. Pause after entering each letter to give the computer time to compute. I remember REISUB as "Reboot Even If System Utterly Borked".

Have no idea where to put this little snippet of information, as it's not really a question, but an answer as to why REISUB sometimes doesn't work. Have not had to deal with this situation in Mint before, but under Petra have had blank, black and pretty coloured screens happen all too often.

On other distros one just holds down Alt+SysRq keys with the right hand, while typing with the left. But here the order in which this is done matters. After a bit of web trawling and trying to REISUB with nothing happening, was able to confirm that screenshots were being taken instead. It is imperative that the Alt key is depressed before pressing the SysRq/Print Scrn key, in order to have a chance of a clean reboot.
Release: Linux Mint 16 "petra"
Edition: Cinnamon 32-bit
Linux mint 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9 16:12:00 UTC 2013 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
Tejas_0
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Postby xenopeek on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:35 am

Though it might not seem obvious, that is the case for all keyboard shortcuts that have a modifier key (e.g., alt, meta, ctrl, shift, super). You always have to depress the modifier key(s) first.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: REISUB Rider (<-BUSIER)

Postby RobertLM78 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:54 pm

This is good to know; I hope it helps - I've been having some nasty freeze-ups lately.
Dell Dimension 4600i, ATI Rage 128, 1 GB RAM, Linux Mint 13 32-bit, MATE edition
Dell Latitude D400, Intel Graphics, 1 GB RAM, Linux Mint 13 32-bit, MATE edition
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 6 GB RAM, Linux Mint 13 64-bit, MATE edition
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Tutorials / Howtos