Dual Boot MInt and XP

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Dual Boot MInt and XP

Postby arodlinux on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am

hi,

ok, here is the deal! I have a PC dual-booting opensuse 11 and xp. However, i got enough with suse i want to get rid of it badly, so i need a SAFE way to delete, erase the suse partion. Because i want to install (dual booting) mint instead of suse. It will be dual booting mint and xp. The problem is that i don't want to wipe out my xp partition (not for now). This my wife computer and she is doing a smooth transition into linux world :D So, please any advice will be gratly appreciated. I am planning to backup (image) my xp partition to be safe. Right now i am using grub with suse.
arodlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Dual Boot MInt and XP

Postby sleep`walker on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:40 am

It's always good idea to make backup before formating or partitioning hard drive. (But I, truly, never did ti :))

All you have to do is formating Suse's partition (it is just one / partition, right?). Not to delete it. You can do it with gParted or `mke2fs -j` (or some other mk*fs tool, depending on what type of filesystem you plan to use).
Actually, you can format the partition during installation process, so just run the installer and follow instructions.

Don't worry about MBR and bootloader. Mint will install GRUB in it and configure the bootloader to boot Windows and Linux.
Q: What is square root of 4b^2
A: To be or not to be.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sry about bad english... I hope you understand it ;)
sleep`walker
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual Boot MInt and XP

Postby arodlinux on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:19 am

thnak you,
I bott with partition magic just to make sure where my partition was (i am using two hard drives), then i boot with mint and install. I chose the entire disk where the suse partion was, and that was all that it needed from me. It was so easy :lol: . Another thing that i was impressed was that mint "transfer" all my file and document to linux mint, good work guys. Who need windows anyway?
arodlinux
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Tutorials / Howtos