dual boot Linux without Windows boot loader

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

dual boot Linux without Windows boot loader

Post by sadhu »

Thought I'd pass this along, as it may help others.

I have two HDDs, both of which are capable of booting Linux. Linux 'sane' doesn't support my old scanner, so I thought I'd have to buy a new one. (It won't work in a VM because Linux can't see the scanner -- odd-ball USB handshaking, apparently.) Then it hit me that I could dual-boot one of my HDDs, load Windows on it, and be able to run my scanner. Cheaper than shelling out for a new one.

Here's the procedure I used:
  1. Open the PC and disconnect Drive 0 -- /dev/sda/. This will ensure that Windows will not overwrite your good grub loader.
  2. Boot into BIOS setup, and adjust the boot order so that the HDD boots as Drive0 -- /dev/sda/. Then save the settings and reboot, selecting 'Boot Options' at startup.
  3. Select the Windows distribution medium. Load Windows as usual (note: If you want to dual-boot the HDD now containing Windows, search DuckDuckGo for 'rebuild grub after installing windows'.)
  4. Shut down, reconnect the former HDD
  5. Boot into BIOS settings; adjust boot order.
  6. Reboot. The old grub menu should appear; boot Linux normally.
  7. In a terminal, run sudo update-grub. OR use grub-customizer to scan for the installed OSs and create a new boot menu.
Now you will be able to boot Windows from the grub menu.

--Sadhu!
Last edited by sadhu on Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
JusTertii

Re: dual boot without Windows boot loader

Post by JusTertii »

Cheers mate.

Return to “Tutorials”