KDE does not shut down or reboot properly

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
bernado

KDE does not shut down or reboot properly

Post by bernado »

Hello everybody,

A very strange problem is bothering me. - My Desktop PC didn’t shutdown as it should be. So the following behavior occurred. Note that this only effects KDE (Kubuntu). No problems with Bianca (Ubuntu) and no problems with other KDE Distributions like Sidux Linux ex Kanotix).

- The PC tries to shutdown but suddenly before a complete shutdown it turns off. During the next booting process a “recovering journalâ€￾ will be started.
- It shuts down but doesnt´t shut off ( System like IDE, fan still in action)
- Reboot doesn´t work.
- a “sudo shutdown –hâ€￾ oder “ –râ€￾ worked !

It seems that some people have the same problem and I have learned that it could be a problem with my graphic card. Its an ATI Radeon RV280 (Radeon 9200 PRO) So I found the following solution which helped:

I solved the problem by editing.
ect/kde3/kdm/krmrc

I added at the end of the [x...core] the following
TerminateServer=true

And that helped ! I read a lot of threads regarding this problem and I seems that for other people a different solution was more likely to be successful.
Can anyone explain this phenomeno or is it possible to solve this problem for Bianca KDE ? It seems to be a problem with ACPI

Bernado
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Neat trick. Was that on BETA020 or BETA022 ?

Clem
bernado

Post by bernado »

This nice trick works on both BETA020 and BETA022 and probably on Kubuntu 8)

Bernado

I am using the latest BETA022 KDE for testing purposes

Return to “Tutorials”