Auto Mount Partitions on Boot (also Windows partitions)

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Re: Auto Mount Partitions on Boot (also Windows partitions)

Postby Fivefinger on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:16 am

Hi,
is there any way how to redo the auto mounting? I mistype the name of the dev and now while booting the system is searching for that device.

Thx.
Fivefinger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby altair4 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 am

You need to open an editor with root privileges:
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/fstab

Make your changes then unmount the partition if you mounted it manually then run this command to remount it:
Code: Select all
sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby jrmwalsh on Wed May 07, 2014 12:27 pm

My great thanks to Fred for his original tutorial. I managed to get connected by following his very clear directions, with the appropriate modifications for my (wife's) computer, Finch.
Finch used to be an XP-only machine, but with the demise of XP support, I am migrating her to Linux Mint, which she enjoys.
Her Thunderbird email profile is still in a Windows partition, and I wanted her to be able to access all her mail in the same profile, no matter whether she boots to Windows or Linux.
My attempts at solving this issue, by pointing the Thunderbird "profiles.ini" file (in the Linux partition) to the Thunderbird profile in the Windows partition, worked up to a point, but I had to ask Linux to actually open the Windows partition each time she turned her computer on, otherwise Thunderbird could not find the Windows profile.
I did try Menu > Preferences > Disks > More Actions > Edit Mount Options > etc, etc., but it would NOT make the changes to the fstab file. I had to go in and change the fstab file manually.
I used Fred's tutorial and edited fstab successfully; and now Linux opens the Windows file system properly every time.

Thank you Fred.
Mike.

In this world there are just two types of people. There are those who divide the world into two types of people, and there are those who don't.
jrmwalsh
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Tutorials / Howtos