How to install Windows after Mint is installed

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

How to install Windows after Mint is installed

Postby DragonTrainer on Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 pm

I think this is my first Linux howto in english. Also, I hope this is well located in the forum.
In this howto I'll teach how to install Windows (in my case XP) after you have Mint installed and working.

First, why? I mean, this is a Linux forum.
I think there are various possible reasons.
In my case, some weeks ago I erased Windows, and decided to use it only in a virtual machine, but due to the little machine I have, the virtual machine has almost no performance. But I'll definitely don't delete Mint for reinstalling Windows, installing Mint and all the software I've put on it.
Also, there are games/programs that runs on wine, but not as they should. Over all if the graphics card's 3D capabilities can't be enabled on Linux.... well, these are my reasons. You could have your ones.

For this small howto I'll explain how to install Windows in a Linux machine that has no windows on it.
What we need:
- Linux Mint CD/DVD (or any live distro that has gparted).
- Windows CD/DVD
- Some patience.

For a single hard disk, it's done as follows.

1. Reboot with your Mint CD. On it, open Gparted, and with it, resize/move the partitions in your hard disk, making space for installing Windows. In my case, I've decided to leave only 4 GB for Windows.
http://i31.tinypic.com/2a5kf1d.png

2. With Gparted, make a new NTFS partition and set it as boot.
http://i28.tinypic.com/30wb94w.png

3. Reboot as usual. Check that your partitions and everything is working fine. When you're sure of it, insert your Windows CD/DVD and reboot.

4. Run the Windows installer. When the installer asks you where to install it, don't touch the "not-windows" or "unknown" partitions; choose the NTFS one you created.

5. Install Windows. When it finish, Windows will load (don't worry; we'll recover Mint soon). Check that's working fine. Windows should show only one hard disk, with the space you assigned to it.
http://i26.tinypic.com/10yqp7k.png

6. Now insert your Mint CD and reboot again. When it shows the desktop, open the terminal. Type the following commands:

Code: Select all
sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1

That should show something like "hd(0,1)". Now type:

root (hd0,1)

replacing hd(0,1) with the thing that the command before showed.

setup (hd0,1)
quit

Now reboot. You should have your regular Mint boot menu. Start Mint as always. When you're in your desktop, press ALT+F2 and run the following command:

gksudo nautilus /boot/grub

Make a backup copy of menu.lst. Then open the menu.lst file with the text editor.
At the end of it, append the following:

title      Windows XP Professional
root      (hdx,x)
makeactive
chainloader   +1

In the root line, "(hdx,x)", the first X is the number of hard disk. The first is 0, the second 1, the third 2, etc. The second x is the partition.
i.e. If Windows is installed in the third partition of the first hard disk, the line should be

root      (hd0,2)

Then reboot and try to open Windows. If it fails, open Mint again and modify the root line again, until you have success. When you finish, open Windows, install the drivers, the software and such.
And if you have any suggestion/improvement to this guide, tell it. c:
DragonTrainer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install Windows after Mint is installed

Postby DrHu on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:18 am

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=dual+boot+windows
Dual boot (multiboot) windows + Linux..
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:55 am

http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

The ultimate dual booting guide.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby altair4 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:34 am

Um ... guys .... I'm not the shiniest apple in the bushel, but I don't think this was a question. I'm pretty sure this is a Tutorial. :wink:

DragonTrainer wrote:And if you have any suggestion/improvement to this guide, tell it. c:

My only concern is the 4GB you allocated for Windows. A Windows service pack , for example, needs a lot of room to expand when it's copied and you run the risk that it won't have room. I guess it depends on what else is installed on that partition.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby DragonTrainer on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:00 pm

I didnt read the dual boot guide there. Just a grub recovery guide. Well... then I suppose this guide is out of place.

@altair4: Yes, maybe. In this case,the 4GB are more for a beginning, since Windows will be used only for some programs, and if I need more, I'll just liveboot and resize partitions.
You need to have space for the Windows you'll install, of course. You cant make a partition of 10 GB, installing 7 and pretending that runs smooth. Free space depends of the OS you'll install after.

Interesting info: If your /home/ is in another partition, you can boot as root and modify partition size without livebooting.
DragonTrainer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Tutorials