How to get the Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card working

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

How to get the Belkin N1 Wireless Desktop Card working

Postby Muzer on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:41 pm

Just thought I'd write this in case any newbies can't figure out what to do (it's easy when you know what you're doing)

This has been tested with the F5D8001, version 2001. Other versions probably work with the same method, but you'll need to modify the instructions a bit.

Unfortunately, there is currently no native Linux driver for this card's chipset. However, Linux Mint includes Ndiswrapper, a program which you can use to install Windows WiFi drivers that use the NDIS protocol (in other words, virtually all of them), at the cost of slightly more memory usage, a very slight speed loss, and a slightly more difficult setup, than if there was a native driver; along with a graphical program to configure it, which, though not perfect, gets the job done. Therefore, there is only a brief period of command-line usage, and only if your WiFi card is different to mine, and you don't need the internet other than to read this tutorial (which I recommend you print out).

Prerequisites
* The wireless card has already been inserted into a PCI slot, and the aerial plugged in and placed in a suitable location
* The CD that came with the WiFi card is inserted into any drive
* Linux Mint (normal or KDE) is installed on your hard drive.

Checking your chipset
First of all, you should check what chipset your card has. If you have the same model and version number as me (found on the bottom side of the box or on the card itself, ignore any lower case letters at the end), you can safely skip this step. You should do this just so that you are aware if you need to use your common sense and change my instructions slightly.

Open a terminal window (mint menu -> accessories -> terminal, or press Alt+F2 and type gnome-terminal)
Type:
Code: Select all
lspci | grep Ethernet\ controller

You will most likely get two lines of output. If you do, one will be your wifi card, and the other an ethernet port. You will have to use your common sense to figure out which is which; the WiFi one will probably say Wireless or 802.11x (where x is g, b or n) somewhere, the Ethernet one will possibly say Gigabit. This is the output I get:
Code: Select all
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)                        <----- my Ethernet port (ignore this)
05:01.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88W8361 [TopDog] 802.11n Wireless (rev 03)              <----- My WiFi card

If your WiFi card is not identified as "Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88W8361 [TopDog] 802.11n Wireless", you will most likely need to modify these instructions slightly, eg changing a few filenames, etc. Maybe someone else could post which modifications have to be made for other Belkin Wireless N cards?

Installing the driver
In the Mint Menu, go to applications --> system --> Windows Wireless Drivers (can someone check this path, it might be slightly wrong - I run Mint on KDE)
It will ask for your password. Enter it, and press OK
Click "Install new driver"
Click the browse button (the little folder icon for me, might be different on normal Mint)
Click on the CD drive with the disc in in the left pane (in general, the top drive physically is cdrom0, and the bottom one is cdrom1, but some manufacturers might connect them the wrong way around)
After a few seconds, the icon for the drive should turn from a drive into a disc. Click this button again.
Double-click "InstallationFiles"
Double-click "Driver"
Double-click "NetMW14x.inf" <---------- **** This is the filename you might need to change if you have a different WiFi card. Just find the file that ends with .inf **
Click Install
Due to a bug in the program, it will probably pop up an error saying "Unable to see if hardware is present" (a harmless warning generated internally causes it to think this). Ignore this by clicking OK.
You should now see an entry in the list on the left - netmw14x. With any luck, it should say "Hardware present: Yes". If this is the case, congratulations! If not, continue anyway, it might have been the above error actually happening rather than just pretending to happen.
In the system tray (or what on Windows and KDE would be called the system tray), there should be a network icon (a picture of a computer). Click on this.
With any luck, you should see a list of WiFi networks in range. Click on your one, enter the password if necessary, and test the connection by going to google.

*END OF TUTORIAL*

Any questions?
Muzer
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Tutorials