Configuring Realplayer in Firefox

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Configuring Realplayer in Firefox

Postby lawsonrc on Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:38 pm

I have discovered that on certain websites, the mplayerplugins for Realplayer will not work to play certain videos and that only by installing Realplayer will everything work completely.

I know that many Linux users prefer to play Realplayer videos on the web with other media players, such as Kaffeine, Mplayer, Totem, etc. Yet I still run across a few websites where these solutions may not work 100%. So this "how-to" is for those who wish to use Realplayer for both embedded videos and non-embedded videos which were originally intended for Realplayer.

I installed Realplayer using Synaptic Package Manager. I then opened Realplayer and followed the "wizard" so that it could be used in the browser.
I then noticed that it would play non-embedded videos on these websites where Realplayer launched separately, but that with embedded videos I only got sound and no video.

Here is what I did in Linux Mint 3.0 Cassandra.

I am a non-techie with very little experience with command lines, but by "hit and miss" I was able to get everything working. The following is "hit and miss" and not as streamlined as an experienced command-line person would do:

I opened a terminal and did the following commands:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla
ls -l

I noticed that there was only the plugin folder but no components folder as is normally the case in other distros.

sudo mkdir components (press enter)

This added the components directory

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
ls -l

I found both the nphelix.so and the nphelix.xpt in this folder. You need to keep the nphelix.so file here, but move the nphelix.xpt out of this folder to the usr/lib/mozilla/components folder. (Note, do NOT move it to the usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/components folder. It is easy to confuse the two.):

While you are in the /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins, do the following command:

sudo mv nphelix.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/components (press enter)

cd /usr/lib/mozilla/components
ls -l

You will now find the nphelix.xpt file here.

Now you need to open up the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins folder. Do this by the following command:

Keep your terminal open. Open up Nautilus and the File System and open up /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. In here, if you see the nphelix.so and the nphelix.xpt files with a red x in the bottom corner, then you have to remove them. (I don't remember how the looked in the command line)

If this is the case, return to your command line and do the following:

sudo rm nphelix.so nphelix.xpt (press enter)

Then do ls -l and you will see that they are gone.

I need to have an active copy of the nphelix.so in this folder.

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins
ls -l
cp nphelix.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (press enter)

Now go back into Nautilus and look in usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and you should see this file in there with the x in the lower corner.

I then opened up Firefox and went to the following sites and tested videos which were embedded:

http://www.cbs.com/innertube and played full episodes of CSI and Jericho

http://www.film.com and played trailers to movies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk where I clicked below "Radio" to "Listen to live audio...."

The gave me a choice to use Real One, which I clicked. I was able to listen to the BBC radio broadcasts.

Again, all this configuration was "roundabout" and a more knowledgeable person could have done it in a more streamlined manner.

Thanks to Clem for initially helping me.

Richard
lawsonrc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Configuring Realplayer in Firefox

Postby Verlager on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 am

Here is a shorter, faithfully revised version of your code.
Thank you for providing the original!

After installing Realplayer using Synaptic Package Manager,
Open a terminal and type the following commands:

sudo mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/components
sudo mv /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/nphelix.xpt /usr/lib/mozilla/components/
sudo rm /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.*
sudo cp /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/nphelix.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

{end}
Verlager
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Tutorials / Howtos