Adding inxi to older Mint versions

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Adding inxi to older Mint versions

Postby slider on Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:45 pm

(If your running Mint 7 or above for future reference, this is already installed on your system.)
screenshot110.png
screenshot110.png (57.59 KiB) Viewed 387 times

INXI is an awesome CLI information tool that most of you may have seen (and maybe already have used) from the output from here on the forum. Users such as myself that use an older LTS Mint version do not have this installed by default. Source It wasnt included in default systems until 26 May 2009 release of Linux Mint 7 Gloria. Release Date

The last updated development post date that I could find was 30 October 2008. Ive been very impressed by the output and ease of use by this shell script, so I finally decided to install it on my system, which will make helping users here a lot easier. The commands are simple and straight to the point as well as the output they produce. I salute all of the Devs and users who helped developed and test this. The INXI script appears to me to run on a layer above other scripts (as a lot of scripts do), using them for some of the information it receives as well, but I could be wrong on this. Someone please correct me if I am thanx. Regardless this script is very impressive.

Read more here: http://techpatterns.com/forums/about1133.html

Mint 5 and Mint 6 install:

The easiest way to install is from CLI using the following command from a root terminal:
Code: Select all
cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi

My root terminal output:
slider-desktop ~ # cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi
--13:40:20--  http://smxi.org/inxi
           => `inxi'
Resolving smxi.org... 209.197.72.47
Connecting to smxi.org|209.197.72.47|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi [following]
--13:40:21--  http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi
           => `inxi'
Resolving inxi.googlecode.com... 74.125.47.82
Connecting to inxi.googlecode.com|74.125.47.82|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 152,847 (149K) [text/plain]

100%[=================================================================================>] 152,847       47.09K/s    ETA 00:00

13:40:27 (47.02 KB/s) - `inxi' saved [152847/152847]

A root terminal may be obtained by using sudo -s or sudo su as well. Dont forget to close the root terminal when you are done with it or just type exit.

*Note: I installed this just fine in /usr/local/bin on Mint 5, but some distro's may need a different location as per the above link notes. (eg:/usr/bin )

I wanted to post this next part mainly for new users. :)

Although I have the newest version installed lets test the updater portion of the script just for fun. Since this is installed as root the update will fail unless run as root or modified to run update under user.
My output was as follows:
slider@slider-desktop ~ $ inxi -U
Starting inxi self updater.
Currently running inxi version number: 1.2.5
Updating inxi in /usr/local/bin using svn server as download source...
/usr/local/bin/inxi: Permission denied
Error 8: the self-updater failed, wget exited with error: 1.
You probably need to be root.
Hint, to make for easy updates without being root, do: chown <user name> /usr/local/bin/inxi
slider@slider-desktop ~ $ sudo inxi -U
[sudo] password for slider:
Starting inxi self updater.
Currently running inxi version number: 1.2.5
Updating inxi in /usr/local/bin using svn server as download source...
Successfully updated to svn server version: 1.2.5
To run the new version, just start inxi again.
slider@slider-desktop ~ $

Notice that the update failed as user, but was successful with sudo. You can use the above command to modify permissions (as suggested by the terminal) so that you can update as user if you want, but I left mine as root, highly recommended. I dont mind using sudo to update. The rest of the commands all run just fine for user.

I would suggest users to make themselves a simple text file to keep on their systems from the output inxi -h so the commands can be easily seen and used whenever you need them, without having to constantly use the "-h" which may hide or disrupt the current screen output that you may be needing to read. Something that you could keep in your "documents" folder or anywhere that you want that can be easily found.

Ok now go explore the info about your computer as well as help us all provide support here for all Mint users. Please remember that helping and contributing is one of the best ways to give back to the Linux community when it is done with a sincere heart. :D

I hope this helps someone. Please support Linux Mint in any way that you can.

*PS If anyone has any additional info or suggestions about this for the community please feel free to post here in this thread.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Adding inxi to older Mint versions

Postby Lantesh on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:45 pm

Nice post. I'm sure this will be helpful to those running older versions of Mint.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Tutorials / Howtos