How To Remove Linux Mint Custom Google Search in Firefox

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
shevegen

Re: How To Remove Linux Mint Custom Google Search in Firefox

Post by shevegen »

The problem I had with the custom search was that it interfered with my way to use google.

Google's interface is fairly slick and to the point. In the years, they bloated it up a bit, but
it was still ok.

The custom google search in Mint however takes up at least +20% of my available screen
on top of that AND also puts me with links I:

- Do not need
- Do not use
- Do not want to be shown and take up my space

I think, what would be useful, is to make the custom google search of Mint AS SMALL AS POSSIBLE.

And less features, rather than more. I understand that everyone wants more and more features,
but as an old user, I really LIKE SIMPLICITY.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How To Remove Linux Mint Custom Google Search in Firefox

Post by xenopeek »

As shared earlier in this topic, the developers of Linux Mint have listened to the community and from Linux Mint 12 onwards the Google Custom Search will no longer be used. If you are using an earlier version of Linux Mint, this topic offers various way to remove the Google Custom Search.

The developers are working on revenue sharing agreements with search engines; talks with Google and others are ongoing. Next to contributions from donors and sponsors, it is an additional source of income for the developers that helps them continue their work on Linux Mint full-time and pay for the Linux Mint servers and bandwidth. An agreement with DuckDuckGo and Yahoo! is in place, and Linux Mint 12 ships with DuckDuckGo as the default search engine and LMDE 201204 with Yahoo!. You can easily use or configure another search engine on both.

Locked.

Return to “Tutorials”