Get PCLinuxOS 2010 To Boot With GRUB2 Controlling GRUB

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
markcynt

Get PCLinuxOS 2010 To Boot With GRUB2 Controlling GRUB

Post by markcynt »

This is a fairly simple process I put together working off this thread ( http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph ... #msg585254 ) I started in PCLinuxOS forums.

First of all when installing PCLinuxOS install GRUB to the PCLinuxOS root partition.

Then boot to Mint and run

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Then reboot, select the PCLinuxOS GRUB entry and press E

This will bring you to a screen where you can edit the entry.

At the top of the screen you will see an entry like this:

set root='(hd0,13)' (That's what mine was yours may have a different partition number.)

At the bottom of the screen you'll see an entry like this:

initrd (hd0,12)/boot/initrd.img (That's what mine was yours may have a different partition number.)

The two partition numbers have to match so first make sure your NumLock is on and change the bottom partition number so it matches the top partition number.

Then press Ctrl + X to boot into PCLinuxOS

Upon successful boot into PCLinuxOS press Alt + F2, then type kdesu kwrite /boot/grub/menu.lst ( gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst for Gnome ) then Enter and password.

When the file comes up find the PCLinuxOS main entry. For me it was:

title linux
kernel (hd0,12)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=a60f840a-ac0e-42cf-bc5b-a3f40e138add  resume=UUID=b4d89ce9-0042-4051-a255-47ce8837a276 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,12)/boot/initrd.img
Again, the partition number needs to be changed like so:

title linux
kernel (hd0,13)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=UUID=a60f840a-ac0e-42cf-bc5b-a3f40e138add  resume=UUID=b4d89ce9-0042-4051-a255-47ce8837a276 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,13)/boot/initrd.img
Notice that I only changed (hd0,12) in both the kernel and initrd lines to (hd0,13) .

Then reboot back into Mint and run

sudo update-grub
You should now be able to boot into PCLinuxOS normally.

I know this looks like a lot but it only takes about 10 minutes.
Last edited by markcynt on Mon May 31, 2010 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Get PCLinuxOS 2010 To Boot With Mint8 Controlling GRUB

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Very nice How-to, markcynt. I wish this was around last year when I was having all sorts of trouble trying to dual boot Mint and PCLOS.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Thank you. Hopefully it will help a few people.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks markcynt! People have been asking about this and your guide is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to create this.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yep - I had the edit that initrd bit in this pc.

that was back when direct editing of grub.cfg wasn't in vogue.
but - it worked.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
disastrophe

Re: Get PCLinuxOS 2010 To Boot With GRUB2 Controlling GRUB

Post by disastrophe »

I'd like to thank markcynt for this walkthrough. I was booting four Grub2 OS's and wanted to replace one with Fedora 13. This procedure worked beautifully for me. You're a god!
michael.conner

Post by michael.conner »

Thanks for this guide! I used it for dual-booting with Pardus 2011 Beta 2, which uses Grub Legacy (and had taken over my bootloader, leaving my Ubuntu partition unbootable until I reinstalled Grub2).
sss

Post by sss »

One clarification please, this is necessary because pclinuxos has GRUB Legacy and this disro installed afterwards ( Mint was already installed).

If both distros have the same version (GRUB2) or the distro that is to be installed afterwards has the newer version of GRUB, then still the similar method has to be followed, or we can just overwrite the older GRUB with new version (or equivalent version) of GRUB during the installation of the second distro.
gdawg

Post by gdawg »

Thank you very much. I followed your directions and they worked like a charm.

Best wishes,

Glen

Return to “Tutorials”