How-to "help" someone use a computer.

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Re: How-to "help" someone use a computer.

Postby enxio27 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:41 am

I think I'm going to print this out and re-read it every time my mother calls me with a computer problem.
enxio27
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby PatH57 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:25 pm

my 2 cents,

everybody knows something about computers nowadays and will try to fix it before asking (even my mother)
Be clear and ask again, avoid technical mambo jumbo or sending
Code: Select all
sudo whatever
before checking what the level of understanding is.
Everyone seems to know what memory is and then again and again I hear "I'm running out of memory" when it was disk space...
Linux, windows,unix,MacOS each use a different language. It is all English but so many dialects... and when you start getting fluent in one you tend to forget that others aren't.
People disagree with me. I just ignore them.
(Linus Torvalds, regarding the use of C++ for the Linux kernel.)

Please Add [Solved] to the topic-title of your first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
PatH57
Level 13
Level 13

Postby gingertom5005 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:01 am

I do quite a bit of one to one teaching with older people, often in their seventies and eighties and have been fairly successful with all my students. I have found that it helps to find either what games they like or what their favourite shows and TV series were. Get a seventy five year old onto Youtube and if they love (say) Dr Finlay's Casebook etc their motivation and ability to absorb information and navigate menus seems to increase exponentially. I like the general understanding of posts that the student needs to be doing rather than watching.
gingertom5005
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Maggie777 on Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:08 am

Hi
I have taught two students to use computer.
It's a step by step procedure
first you need to know how much your students already knows about computer. After that you need to start
I usually start with computer hardware. I believe by taking computer classes you can learn more. A person can learn computer if he / she try using them on daily bases.
Maggie777
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Tutorials