Fakeraid on Isadora

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
lorinkundert

Fakeraid on Isadora

Post by lorinkundert »

After numerous attempts I have finally come up with a way to install Isadora on a machine using a fakeraid from the live cd, it is actually very simple and as to why iot works, it's anyone's guess.

1. Boot up from the live CD
2. Begin Product Installation
3. set up your partitions or select automatic partitioning
4. Installation will fail at the point where your partitions are being formatted
5. Quit the Installation Program
6. Start Installation again
7. manually select your partitions and check the format box
8. On the last stage select advanced and choose the mapped device ex. 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raid or something similar
9. Do not press the install button yet
10. open a terminal and type sudo -i
11. go to /dev/mapper
12 You should have several partitions mapped that look something like: 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raidp1......p2......p5
13 create a symbolic link for each of them removing the "p" they can vary depending on the raid chipset.
ln -s 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raidp1 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raid1
ln -s 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raidp2 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raid2
ln -s 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raidp5 1sw_ccdaahchhf_raid5
14. Now press the install button

Install shoulld complete properly and GRUB should also be setup properly, this has worked consistently dozens of times, as this has not been tested on anything other than Isadora it may or may not work on other distro's
lorinkundert

Re: Fakeraid on Isadora

Post by lorinkundert »

The above instructions assume a clean system meaning no prior partitioning or that you erased the entire drive during install.

If you are attempting this on a pre-partitioned drive then you can simply install as usual, however the install will fail at GRUB install and you will need to reboot and install GRUB manually, the best way is to have a GRUB boot disk that will allow you to boot into your new installation and then opening a terminal window, type sudo -i and supply your password then type "grub-install" and then "update-grub" your system should boot correctly.

ps. I use the multiboot script to create a multiboot usb that allows me to select which os I need to start up in the event that GRUB fails, google multiboot usb t ofind the script.
lorinkundert

Post by lorinkundert »

Braindead today, don't forget to add the /dev/mapper/RAID NAME to the grub-install command
fenir

Post by fenir »

Just want to say thank you to the topic creator. While noone else could solve my issue in installing side by side windows and linux, you sir, just did solve my problem handily. (installed on already partitioned disk)

Return to “Tutorials”