How to Install Bit-defender and avast in Mint

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
mack_guy911

Re: How to Install Bit-defender and avast in Mint

Post by mack_guy911 »

sorry i was consider posting avast, avg antivirus, firewall setting and check your ports with help of nmap .....also .....apparmor .....etc in same tutorial that why i give it name so linux users get attracted and get it all in one tutorial.

:mrgreen: anyways i post them in other tutorials one by one please wait till then

for avast

step 1. please go to

http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition

step 2. click and download .........avast! Linux Edition (DEB package)

note:- please register your avast as well if you use for home use its free
you get a registration form on same page fill it you get a free license key

step 3. after download rightclick on avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb (package) or double click just like windows and install

while installing it will ask for password just type your user password (ie login password)

step 4. click on menu click on terminal and type

step 5. sudo avastgui

step 6. password of user (ie login screen password)

step 7. you get gui mode from there enter new license. :mrgreen:
mick55

Post by mick55 »

mack_guy911 wrote:sorry i was consider posting avast, avg antivirus, firewall setting and check your ports with help of nmap .....also .....apparmor .....etc in same tutorial
These are all different programs and should have separate independant tutorials.

No one wants to wade through countless pages of screenshots, comments and questions,
to get to the part about the program they are interested in.

No offense intended, but this thread is already unwieldy. :P

mick
Just4Fun

Post by Just4Fun »

Thank you for posting the tutorial on where to get BitDefender and how to install it. I am new to Linux. I spent a day trying to get ClamAV and ClamTK installed. Finally triumphed, but it was a frustrating experience. After the install, I found Clam lacking. I wanted something else. I started looking around and found this post. BitDefender appears to be a very good option and with the clear tutorials and the discussion, I was able to have it up and running within 15 minutes.

I've read a lot about Linux security. Yes it is a more secure system, but malware has been written for it. Certainly not to the degree that it has been written for Windows (even a Mac has a little more malware than Linux), but still, malware is out there. I'd rather error on the side of caution. As a newbie, I searched for help. All I could find is "Linux doesn't need it." There was nothing to address people, like me, who still want to use an antivirus. This is the first thread that really helped me achieve my goal of finding a commercial grade application and getting it installed. BitDefender certainly installs like a commercial grade application. I wish that the Mint folks would post COMPLETE tutorials in the tutorials section on how to install every antivirus available for Linux. Sure, the tutorials could be accompanied with something that explains why Linux doesn't need an antivirus, but for those of us who still wish it, a tutorial would help us over come all of the CLI stuff. I'm a long time computer user. If I hadn't already had some experience with command line interfaces on other platforms, I would have given up and probably withdrawn from the Linux OS.

I liked the screen shot tutorial, but the tutorial that helped me the most was a step by step just after the screen shot version.

Thanks again for this thread.

Return to “Tutorials”