set acpi_osi=Linux

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
kwevej

set acpi_osi=Linux

Post by kwevej »

This could help (especially @ laptops), if u have issues with CPU fan control ; multimedia keys; perhaps also hibernation and shutdown.

Run terminal and run:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub 
and then change

GRUB_CMLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to

GRUB_CMLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"
next update /boot/grub/grub.cfg by running

sudo update-grub
Reboot
wingman358
Level 1
Level 1

Re: set acpi_osi=Linux

Post by wingman358 »

I know this thread is mega-old, but it worked like a charm for me on a new install of Mint 15 MATE 64-bit :D

My system would hang on shutdown. It would go through the "system is going down for a halt NOW! going to run level..." etc. and the screen would blank, but the computer would stay powered on (fans running, lights on) until manually holding the power button. After adding the above acpi_osi=Linux, halt works as expected!

A couple things though:

I recommend creating a backup of important files (any file you need to sudo edit) before editing

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub_bkup
and I noticed that immediately after updating the grub file, the computer still hung when trying a halt - the update didn't take effect until after a full reboot.

Thanks a million!
abouter

Post by abouter »

works for me. thanks. Mate 15 64-bit on Dell Vostro 3500.
paralight

Post by paralight »

hey yo !! thanks dude !!!

edit : mmmh.. actually, it solves my "stand by" problem , but not my hibernation problem unfortunately , ...
edit2 : mhhhhh perhaps it's because my swap was not same size or greater than my 4go ram...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Locking this extremely old tutorial so others do not ask questions about it. There are better ways nowadays to address the problems mentioned in the original post.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Tutorials”