Converting your music collection

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Converting your music collection

Postby Lowkey on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:55 am

Hi Peeps :)

Im a noob *wave* so when I found this out it was a big break through...Even though I didnt see it on the news! Anyway, if you have a big collection of music with wav this and wma that but want to get them all to one format do the following...

1. Go to the software portal ( http://www.linuxmint.com/software/ ) and go to the "System Tools" and download "Automatix".

2. In Automatix and in the "miscellaneous" section you'll find " Nautilus Scripts". I know there is a Nautilus Scripts in the Control Center but I couldn't figure it out.

3. Install "SoundConverter" from "Install Software" on your desktop. Have a play with the options before you go further. Find the options that suit you.

Now this is the really cool bit...

4. Go into the file with your music collection in and right click. Go to "scripts" and pick "search here". Do a search for, say, *.wav and it will find all the wavs in that directory.

5. Open SoundConverter and just drag the files youve found across to convert them.

6. Come back 3 hours later to find...

a/ Your computer hasnt crashed (Im sorry, but I still cant get over how stable Linux is!)

b/ Your music file has shrunk.

Well thats one adventure done...Now to install MythTV and Amarok with both using mysql....
Lowkey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby sanguinemoon on Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:51 am

Soundconverter is in the regular repositories. You might be impressed with how stable Linux is now, but it won't stay that if you continue to use Automatix.

Automatix is actively dangerous to Ubuntu systems (which includes LinuxMint,of course )

http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lowkey on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:28 pm

Hey Sanguinemoon :)

That might explain some random crashes Ive had. I had no idea it was so disruptive. Think its time to have a ¨Ã￾f its not from Mint or Ubuntu its not going on¨ attitude.
Lowkey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Converting your music collection

Postby kwisher on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Installed SoundConvertor but in the preferences the mp3 format was disabled. Do I need to install something else for mp3 music format?

TIA
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kwisher on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Can anyone help with this issue, please?
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dirtprof on Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:30 pm

kwisher wrote:Installed SoundConvertor but in the preferences the mp3 format was disabled. Do I need to install something else for mp3 music format?

TIA

I think you need to install lame ("LAME Ain't an MP3 Encoder") to get mp3 support. It's available in the repositories; use synaptic or
Code: Select all
sudo aptitude install lame
dirtprof

Return to Tutorials / Howtos