How to use your Firefox 4 cache like you did in Firefox 3

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Mozenrath

How to use your Firefox 4 cache like you did in Firefox 3

Post by Mozenrath »

In Firefox 3, my favorite way to save videos from websites was to wait for the video to load and copy it from the Firefox cache folder. Well the folks at Mozilla, with good intentions, have mucked up the cache folder in Firefox 4. The cache files are new split up into several folders, making it impractical to find what you want in the cache. This makes Firefox more compatible and faster with older systems, but for those of us with modern computers it just becomes an annoyance. Worst of all, it doesn't seem like there's currently a way to make the cache work the old way.

There's no real fix yet, but I have devised a workaround that should give you what you want.

1.) Find your cache folder. It should be located in "~/.mozilla/firefox/[default user profile]/Cache". The profile folder is different for everyone, so you'll have to search for it. Mine is "1ktu6zff.default". It would be a good idea to make a symbolic link to your cache folder and place it anywhere in your home folder. That way it's easy to access and you won't have to enable hidden folders each time.

2.) Go into the Cache folder, and do a search in nautilus. Just press the spacebar once to add a space to the search, and press enter. Your search should fill up and show you all the files and folders inside your Firefox cache. This appears very similarly to how the Firefox 3 cache worked(all the files were located in one area. Now you can find whatever video/image/flash file you want without hunting through a plethora of folders.

3.) In your Nautilus window, go to File and select "Save Search As". Choose what you want to name it(I chose 'Firefox Cache'), and save it wherever you want. Now all you have to do is double-click on the saved search file to open the search for your cache.

PRO TIP: Optionally, you can just create the XML saved search file yourself.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<query version="1.0">
   <text> </text>
   <location>[INSERT CACHE LOCATION HERE]</location>
</query>
All you have to do is add the location path of your Firefox cache, then save the file with the .savedSearch file extension. In the path, make sure to replace spaces with "%20".

This is the only workaround I've found so far.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Mozenrath on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmintnewb

Re: How to use your Firefox 4 cache like you did in Firefox

Post by lmintnewb »

Why not just get an application to record and save it ? Just curious why you'd have to mess around with a browser cache at all, shrugs. Zero doubt there's tons of applications for linux to record/save any media you wanted.

Don't know of any offhand, but summin tells me google will.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

lmintnewb wrote:Why not just get an application to record and save it ? Just curious why you'd have to mess around with a browser cache at all, shrugs. Zero doubt there's tons of applications for linux to record/save any media you wanted.

Don't know of any offhand, but summin tells me google will.
What do you mean record? Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but do you mean screen capture? Yeah, you can do that...if you want skipped frames.

A lot of sites, such as youtube and others, have flash players that download the video to your browser cache. If you want to save the video after you've watched it, all you have to do is go to the cache and it's there. No downloading/recording/encoding necessary. That's what makes it more convenient.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

By record ... mean exactly that. Not screen capture. Have seen plenty of Windows apps for recording youtube vids or other streaming media. If it exists for M$ junk, an app that does it better already exists for linux.

Maybe one of the linux old hands will share an app that can do the job you need directly. Or a little research on google with the right search queries most likely will. Summin like .... "record youtube videos" +linux ... and variations of that theme.

Either way hope it works out well for ya. Whichever approach you decide to go with. I could be wrong in thinking there's a program to do this. But don't see how it could be poss that opensource stuff for M$ software exists to do something the linux crowd cannot. It would be a travesty of justice.

Here's a candidate ... never used it so cannot endorse it. It's for ubuntu ... should work on any flavor of linux mint that's based on ubuntu too.

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2008 ... utube.html

I'm sure there's a bunch of other apps to do what you want here w/o messing with your browser cache. Probably better one's than the one above. Found another one in the repo's called cclive. Looked like it'd work for snagging vids. Though it doesn't have any reviews for it.

Here's some other options that looked good. Ok, done messing round with this. Just trying to help out. No doubt many people will want to snag YT vids and whatnot.

http://blog.sudobits.com/2010/09/29/how ... ntu-10-04/
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Seems like the answer is a Firefox plugin. Looked like it was getting much positive feedback for it in the plugin directory and works with FF 4.0

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... o/#reviews

Though still sure linux has apps that make doing video capture a snap.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

Yeah, there are plugins that work great. But the problem with those is that they're made to be site-specific. There are ones that will work for a variety of sites, but sometimes there are sites that the firefox plugins aren't compatible with. With the cache, unless the video is streaming(as opposed to downloading), it will almost always appear in the cache no matter what the site. I haven't tried VideoTap(Karbon) though, so I'll be seeing if that works. Looks like the closest thing to something that will get videos from any site.

Also, I've discovered that the Firefox 4 cache doesn't always cache flash videos. Some of them work fine, but most of them don't. I might just install Firefox 3 in tandem just so I can use it's cache to download videos.
blitzkraft

Post by blitzkraft »

It's not just about the videos on youtube. I've found sites whose videos couldn't be downloaded with the any application, yet the vid was present in the cache.
Not just videos, this method can be used to download flash games (swf) and other non flv animations/videos. Thanks to Mozenrath for the workaround.
Mozenrath

Post by Mozenrath »

blitzkraft wrote:It's not just about the videos on youtube. I've found sites whose videos couldn't be downloaded with the any application, yet the vid was present in the cache.
Not just videos, this method can be used to download flash games (swf) and other non flv animations/videos. Thanks to Mozenrath for the workaround.
Yeah, the cache is really a great way to go as almost everything gets dumped there. The only exception would be rtmp streams, which can be ripped using rtmpdump via WINE.

Unfortunately, I keep finding that although I can now look at the whole cache, Firefox 4 is way more selective about what it caches. Firefox 3.5.x would cache nearly everything. For that reason, I decided to make a standalone version of Firefox 3.5.15, and whenever I need do download a video, I just view it in the portable Firefox and it shows up in the cache.
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Guess bottomline, whatever works for people. That firefox plugin I posted about works on FF 4.0 and is supposed to be able to save vids from tons of sites, not just youtube, flash game sites ... buncha vid sites and other stuff. But if someone want's to do it by installing an older version of FF and taking stuff from it's cache. That's totally alright with me too.

Was just saying with linux being what it is. There has/had to be an easy way to capture whatever media you want directly. Which I'm thinking that FF plugin would be the easiest at this point. But have zero doubt there are apps to do it with linux too. Then I only spent 10-15 mins looking around for options.

I don't download youtube vids, so it's not a major concern to me. If I did, I'd just install that FF plugin and call it done though. Whatever works for people ... linux is about choices afterall, shrugs.

Return to “Tutorials”