Canon scanner not detected MP280 (SOLVED)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
gwilson

Post by gwilson »

Postby gwilson on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:37 am
Problem: " Canon scanner not detected MP280 "
Date: July 2011

I recently bought an inexpensive Canon Pixma MP280 scanner/printer at Walmart for about $30. I went to the Canon website support area, entered my operating system and language, downloaded the two necessary files, and installed them using Gdebi by left clicking on them in Nautilus. When all was done, the printer worked fine, but the scanner half of the machine did not. After checking various things, I found that the Canon scanner program ( scangearmp ) would work if run with root privileges using SUDO, but not using my normal user privileges. I also had to manually add scangearmp to my user menu since it was not automatically picked up after installation. Now, you could alter the properties of the menu entry to run gksudo scangearmp but why should you run this program as root? Well, I got my system running properly, and I am pretty sure that what follows will solve this problem for you. Bear with me as I try to run through the steps.

1. Get the drivers for the Canon machine

Google: "canon mp280 linux" and find your way to http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010883.asp (asia, usa, whatever)

Download these two files:

Linux IJ Printer Driver (3.40)
Linux IJ Scanner Driver (1.60)

2. Install the files. I use Gdebi for this, but there are other ways to do it. When you have completed this task, you can check with Synaptic to verify that scangearmp-common and scangearmp-mp280series are installed. These are just the scanner files. There are other files for the printer half of the machine.

3. Open a terminal window and run lsusb. Here's what my output looked like. Yours should be similar.

UserName@computer ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:0131 Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 04a9:1746 Canon, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 050d:0234 Belkin Components F5U234 USB 2.0 4-Port Hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 13ba:0017 Unknown PS/2 Keyboard+Mouse Adapter

Note the line that mentions a Canon device. If you see this line, then your computer knows that a Canon device is there and you are connected to it. You will need the "04a9:1746" information in the next step. Copy it or write it down.

4. Now, you will probably have to edit a system file called "60-libsane.rules" in order to tell your system that you have a Canon MP280 Scanner at the location you copied from the lsusb output. In my case, there was no mention of this exact device in the file, and I had to add it.

The file to edit is: /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules

I used Nautilus to navigate to the system area and opened the folder /lib/udev/rules.d by right-clicking on it and selecting "Open as administrator" from the drop down menu. Then find the file 60-libsane.rules, double-click it to open it in a gedit text editor window. There's a long list of printers. There was no mention of the MP280 in my copy of this file. I scrolled down and copied the two lines for the PIXMA 270, opened up a space, and pasted them in. Then I edited the line to look like the two lines below that refer to the PIXMA 280. In my case, only the name of the device and the number "1746" had to be edited. Those four digits make a big difference.

# Canon PIXMA MX330
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1737", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
# Canon PIXMA MP250
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173a", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
# Canon PIXMA MP270
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173b", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
# Canon PIXMA MP280
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1746", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# Canon PIXMA MP490
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="173c", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

After editing /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules remember to save it. Restart your computer, and you should be able to run the Canon "scangearmp" program as a normal user. There are many other configuration files that have to do with device location, permissions and whatever, but this simple editing task will probably get you working. If you have another Canon model or even a device from another manufacturer, the above description may help you figure out where your problem lies.
izeh

Re: Canon scanner not detected MP280 (SOLVED)

Post by izeh »

hi, i did the first 3 steps but i cant find 60-libsane.rules, so can you please tell me hoe to find/add it
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You should be able to open it with a text editor by running this in terminal:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
izeh

Post by izeh »

AlbertP wrote:You should be able to open it with a text editor by running this in terminal:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules
I did it but there was no list of printers just an empty file, so copy-pasted the list from above, but still i cant detect my scanner, im probably doing something wrong because im new at this (linux) but thanks anyway..
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ izeh: Please open a new topic for this problem. This one is already marked as [solved].
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Tutorials”