Uninstalling Mint

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Uninstalling Mint

Postby Rathe on Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:31 pm

I know this is probably blasphemy on these forums, but I've come to the conclusion that Mint just isn't for me (at least, not yet). Main reason being my sound card has no Linux drivers, and I do a lot of audio production.
Anyhow, I can't figure out how to completely format my boot hard drive. I want to completely wipe it out so I can do a clean install of Vista (I know, even more blasphemy). I tried using the formatting tool with booting from the Windows disk, but it said the drive was not a valid partition or something.
To further complicate things, I have 3 hard drives:
33 GB Raptor SATA drive (Mint is installed here)
100 GB IDE storage drive
and 300 GB SATA storage drive

Any help would be much appreciated!
Rathe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Uninstalling Mint

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:50 am

Well well
another example of Microsoft's strange behavior I believe, given that you have a "normal Windows DVD" not some "rescue" thingy
The installer does not recognize ext3 it seems......
Still you should be able to install, the XP CD would just go ahead - I have no experience with Vista what so ever.
To be safe - disconnect the other disks temporarily so you don't destroy them.
I should not really post this - use at your own risk!!!
With only the disk that has mint on it connected issue
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
as root if you still have mint installed
This wipes out your MBR completely and all data is gone - the disk is as new (logically)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Rathe on Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 pm

Thanks, I figured it out... I was apparently trying to format the wrong partition of my main drive (they both came up as 0 mb drives for some reason). I got Vista installed, and now the stupid thing is saying my key is already in use and I need to buy another. I guess I'm forced back to XP.
Hurray for trying like 8 different operating systems this week and then realizing I'm still held hostage by Microsoft :-(
Rathe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rcdeacon on Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:52 am

Just for information, Ubuntu has a studio version out there that is designed for audio and video production. Haven't used it so I do not know how good or how bad it might be. Just thought I would throw that out there.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:11 pm

Ouch - I forgot about Ubuntu Studio
It's really good, but I don't know how extensive the support for hardware is
@ Rathe
Based on my knowledge of XP I'd say the key thing should not happen, but there has been a lot of talk about limitations of the number of times you may install Vista. If it was the same install rolled out from a backup or remaining untouched on the disk it should not happen - don't know if Vista dislikes changes to partitions
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby muskratmx on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:34 pm

When you play with Giants, your bound to get stepped on from time to time. So buck it up, and don't cry. Please! You uninstalled a superior OS and then wonder why the inferior OS is a problem.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:46 pm

Oh muskratmx, That was cold... but true. :-)

You have been reading to many of my posts. I am beginning to think I am a bad influence around here. lol :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:53 pm

I didn't mean to be cold, but he knew, he was being blasphemous when he started this thread.

And I'm one for starting truth when I see it.

His excuse for not staying with a Superior OS, is just that, An Excuse, because....

Main reason being my sound card has no Linux drivers, and I do a lot of audio production.

... It would be much cheaper in the long run, to purchase a sound card that does have Linux drivers, than to continue to pay MicroSoft Tax. The reason his sound card doesn't have a Linux driver is because the manufacturer of said sound card has a marriage contract with the Giant, and they aren't allowed to let Linux under the covers. Other wise there would be a driver. So not only is he supporting MS, he's also supporting that closed minded mentality of hardware manufactures

It's not because Linux isn't ready for Him, It's because he isn't ready for Linux. It's as simple as that. I know because I was there, in his shoes not to long ago. And did what he's doing until I got tired of being stepped on. And my Dad is in his shoes today. He does Video Editing, and gives me the same excesses.

My Dad spent the last two years learning to improve his video production, using MS. Now he wants Linux to just give him credit for that and carry him right on. He also bought a new fast machine last year, without any investigation whether or not the manufacturer played nice with Linux, Which it don't! All a long, every time we talked I'd remind him of the dead end street he was on.

Keep in mind he has been dabbling in Linux for 4 years now. So he knew what he was doing, investing in hardware without checking, and investing time in learning software he knew wouldn't run on Linux.

Now he wishes he'd done it different. So a little bit of Cold Love doesn't hurt.

I had a HP Laptop, which died about 6 monthes ago, Before I bought a new one I investigated, and purchased an IBM, Now I could have gotten a faster machine for the same money, but it wouldn't have worked as flawlessly with Linux as my IBM.

Unless the gent above is using a laptop, sound cards are cheap! Back when I started playing with Linux, I was still using a dialup connection, and we didn't have ndiswrappers. None of my modems would work. And I did exactly as he did, until I got smart and purchased a control based modem. Now mind you, control based modems are harder to find than a good Linux Sound Card.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby enator24 on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:45 pm

just boot with your mint cd in the live environment, from the start menu select administration then "partition editor " delete all the linux partition and format the hard drive with NTFS file system,apply all the changes
and reboot using ur vista cd it will work an recognize all partitions. ucan do the same with GPARTED live cd .
hey but i would say u r just loosing a winner for an all time looser.
just get out of the window maniaa and enjoy the free world...and fresh air............
enator24
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Tutorials