How to get ATI Resrticted drivers and compiz in Daryna

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

How to get ATI Resrticted drivers and compiz in Daryna

Postby McLovin on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Alot of people seem to be having big issues with ATI cards and Compiz working in Daryna, (or just ATI cards working in general) so I figured I would post a quick and easy how to here on how to get it to work.
First when you install Daryna go to the menu, go to Administration, Restricted Drivers Manager, (the Envy drivers are having alot of issues it seems) and install the restricted drivers for your card, when the drivers are installed it will tell you that you need to restart, but wait for now. Then open a terminal and enter
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl
(you can skip this if you do not plan on using compiz and just go strait to rebooting) Once all that is finished, restart you system, and you should be good to go.
If you want the compiz configuration menu, go to terminal and enter
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
that will get you the compiz settings manager.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to get ATI Resrticted drivers and compiz in Daryna

Postby dave.twodogs on Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:42 pm

very good tip!

i believe it is working after the reboot, but how do i verify this (that my computer is using my ati card with 3d graphics?) thanks for your help.
dave.twodogs

Postby McLovin on Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:00 am

if you installed xserver-xgl, just try to enable the desktop effects, if they work, all is well, if not, something went borko. If you did not install the xserver-xgl, then try to play a 3d game, or use some kind of 3d rendering app.
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Chi on Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:54 am

You Rock. This is an excellent tip! :D

Following the above I have been able to set up a not only 3D but also output to a TV (cloned view). Didn't even have to touch the xorg.conf (which is great 'cause I normally wreck those).

Card: ATI Radeon 9600PRO 256MB DDR (AGP)
In a desktop with via motherboard chips.
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Chi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Guest on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Finally I got desktop effects to work!! :mrgreen:

After months of trying to get desktop effects working in ubuntu gutsy and recently hardy I gave. Installed linux mint today and after finding this tip - hey presto it works!!! Still a slight problem with open arena - runs but its dark. A bit more tweaking.

All in all I'm very impressed with Mint 8)

Postby larryfroot on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:07 pm

hi, I am the owner of a lappy using a radeon 9000. I had to do a fair old amount to get it working with 3D under gutsy and hardy. Do you know if your tip works with anything that needs to run with the open source xserver-xorg-video-ati driver and NOT the flgrx ati proprietary driver? Thanks
larryfroot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Slickness on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:13 am

I followed the advice above and installed the restricted ATI drivers and xserver-xgl.When I restarted X,I found my screen resolution had been turned way up and was unable to access "Screen Resolution" under Preferences.I received this message: "The X Server does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the display size are not available."

I was forced to uninstall xserver-xgl to get things running again.Any idea how I can fix this?
Slickness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby larryfroot on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi slickness - what model of an ati card are you running? If its an old one I can possibly be of assistance.
larryfroot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Slickness on Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 am

Hello Larryfroot,my card is a bit older.I am currently using and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.I would be very grateful for any help you could give me.
Slickness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby McLovin on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:32 am

I actually wrote a much better tutorial, you can check it out and see if it helps you more, it shows you how to install the drivers manually if you are having trouble using any other method.
Here is the link http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=10573
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby larryfroot on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 am

Sorry slickness for delay in getting back to you...Unfortunately my experience is with radeons going back to 9200 or older as that's the point where the fglrx proprietary driver support from ati cuts off and reliance on xserver-xorg-video-ati open source driver begins. You could try that route...
larryfroot
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Tutorials