Remove fortune message from console MiniHowto

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
linuxrev

Remove fortune message from console MiniHowto

Post by linuxrev »

By default a fortune message will appear if you open a terminal or go to the console (e.g. Alt+F1). Some like it, some loathe it. How to disable this fun thingy if you don't like it? Here is what I found, summarizing the confusing list of posts on this subject. (Makes you wonder why there is no easy checkbox somewhere in Control Panel or System Settings?)

1. LinuxMint 11x:

Edit as root: /etc/bash.bashrc and comment out its last line
('/usr/bin/mint-fortune')

2. LinuxMint 10x:

Edit as root: /usr/bin/mint-fortune and comment out its last line
('/usr/games/fortune | $command -f $cow')

NOTE:
'Edit as root' means:
- open a terminal
- type (GNOME): $ gksudo gedit [path+filename]
or (KDE): $ gksudo kwrite [path+filename]

NOTE:
'comment out' means:
adding a '#' at the very beginning of a line of code

I hope this is helpful for LinuxMint newbies like me.

--
linuxrev

:: cogito quod sum ::
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Remove fortune message from console MiniHowto

Post by xenopeek »

Uh, that is a bit more complex then needed for Linux Mint 11. You can just go to Menu > Control Center > Desktop Settings, select the Terminal tab, and remove the checkmark in front of "Show fortune cookies" :wink:
linuxrev

Re: Remove fortune message from console MiniHowto

Post by linuxrev »

True, but only if you run GNOME desktop. I'm stuck to KDE, which doesn't have that easy checkbox. Nevertheless, since we have arrived at LinuxMint 13 now, the whole issue is obsolete.

Return to “Tutorials”