Howto: Remove Fortune messages in the Terminal

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Mr. Alex

Re: Howto: Remove Fortune messages in the Terminal

Post by Mr. Alex »

Totenglocke, I got the same problem. Your theme must become available again after some time.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Anyone know the location & name of the file containing the quotes shown in the fortune cookies?

- I'm thinking of replacing the quotes with useful reminders on using commands? or maybe just my own jibberish (I've yet to decide)
tower

Post by tower »

Try here
/usr/share/games/fortune

Here is the man page
http://linux.die.net/man/6/fortune

This is the format

A day for firm decisions!!!!! Or is it?
%
A few hours grace before the madness begins again.
%
A gift of a flower will soon be made to you.
%

There are quite a few collections of fortune mods on the net everything from Starwars to very rude!
Quotes are separated by a % on a separate line
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

-Thanks

Now let the madness start....
Chacalo

Re:

Post by Chacalo »

Iain wrote:Thanks!
+1 :)
CodeCat

Post by CodeCat »

I like the fortunes as such, but the ASCII cow takes up too much space. Any idea how I can get rid of the cow while still displaying the message itself, just on one line?
michaudba

Post by michaudba »

CodeCat wrote:I like the fortunes as such, but the ASCII cow takes up too much space. Any idea how I can get rid of the cow while still displaying the message itself, just on one line?
Here is a tutorial from the community on how to remove the cow:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/73

Hmm.. My first post in the mint forums, less than a week into using linux again and already helping people. I love this community!
Knowledge

Post by Knowledge »

/usr/bin/mint-fortune

that is what my file says...should i delete it?
also it say i can't edit it because i am not the owner....i really want to get rid of the fortunes though...i really don't like them
vincent

Post by vincent »

Knowledge, have you read the first post in this thread and followed Clem's advice? It's really as simple as that...
Knowledge

Post by Knowledge »

vincent wrote:Knowledge, have you read the first post in this thread and followed Clem's advice? It's really as simple as that...
i've tried that and all i get is another blank terminal line....back where i started...so i tried opening it my self and i only get read only permissions and i'm the only user and administrator on my laptop!

help please
mikeymouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeymouse »

I have tried this method and in version 9 it does not work.
There is no /usr/games/fortune.
Are there any other ways to remove the fortune messages.
Thanks
mikeymouse
vincent

Post by vincent »

Knowledge wrote:
vincent wrote:Knowledge, have you read the first post in this thread and followed Clem's advice? It's really as simple as that...
i've tried that and all i get is another blank terminal line....back where i started...so i tried opening it my self and i only get read only permissions and i'm the only user and administrator on my laptop!

help please
A blank terminal line? Isn't that what you want though? I mean, you don't want fortunes in your terminal, so when you re-open a terminal, you won't see any more fortunes. As I've said, if you followed those instructions and deleted the last line (/usr/bin/mint-fortune) in that bash.bashrc file, save and close it, close the current terminal, and open a new one, you'll no longer see fortunes; I just tried it myself and it works.

Mikeymouse, delete the last line in /etc/bash.bashrc, the line that says /usr/bin/mint-fortune.
Knowledge

Post by Knowledge »

vincent wrote:
A blank terminal line? Isn't that what you want though? I mean, you don't want fortunes in your terminal, so when you re-open a terminal, you won't see any more fortunes. As I've said, if you followed those instructions and deleted the last line (/usr/bin/mint-fortune) in that bash.bashrc file, save and close it, close the current terminal, and open a new one, you'll no longer see fortunes; I just tried it myself and it works.

Mikeymouse, delete the last line in /etc/bash.bashrc, the line that says /usr/bin/mint-fortune.

i'm trying to do what mikeymouse is trying to do but i can't delete that line! /usr/bin/mint-fortune

the file says i only have read only permissions.....so i can't edit it...therefore i still have fortunes
vincent

Post by vincent »

clem wrote:- open a terminal
- type "gksu gedit /etc/bash.bashrc"
- in the end of the file, remove the line /usr/games/fortune
- save the file.

Clem
Knowledge, I'm going to quote Clem's post above to make my point clear.

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc
Is typing the above command in a terminal all that difficult to do? This will give you the privileges needed to edit the file (that's the purpose of [gk]sudo).
Knowledge

Post by Knowledge »

vincent wrote:
- save the file.

Clem
Knowledge, I'm going to quote Clem's post above to make my point clear.

gksudo gedit /etc/bash.bashrc
Is typing the above command in a terminal all that difficult to do? This will give you the privileges needed to edit the file (that's the purpose of [gk]sudo).
GOD I WISH I WASN'T A NOOB! i forgot i uninstalled gedit a couple of days ago....smh haha! so i just replace gedit with gvim and used gvim try and do it...but nope it didn't work i didn't give me the privledges so i guess gedit can do somethings that vim can't do although i like vim more...haha thanks for being patient with my noob-ish-ness haha!

all guru's were once noobs you know?
vincent

Post by vincent »

All right...well, if you don't have gedit (you can re-install it, you know), let's use nano instead, which I know works fairly well off the bat.

sudo nano /etc/bash.bashrc
Same thing, only keep in mind that in nano, CTRL + O is to save the file and CTRL + X is to exit nano.
Knowledge

Post by Knowledge »

vincent wrote:All right...well, if you don't have gedit (you can re-install it, you know), let's use nano instead, which I know works fairly well off the bat.

sudo nano /etc/bash.bashrc
Same thing, only keep in mind that in nano, CTRL + O is to save the file and CTRL + X is to exit nano.
thanks but i already did re-installed and did this remove fortune thing already...but thanks though
vincent

Post by vincent »

Whew, glad you managed to get it done at last! :)
Knowledge

Post by Knowledge »

vincent wrote:Whew, glad you managed to get it done at last! :)
haha thanks for dealing with my noob-ness :)

i learned a lot from trying to do this....like basic terminal commands and such. this was a really good experience though overall! thanks again
trampintransit

Post by trampintransit »

- save the file.

Clem
i only have ... '/usr/bin/mint-fortune' at the end of the file, do i remove that?

Return to “Tutorials”