Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 10)

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
chazdg24

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 7)

Post by chazdg24 »

z06gal wrote:
cavedweller wrote:Thanks for this thead. After installing cinnamon and dconf Editor and killing the Overview in the upper left corner this thing called Gnome 3 becomes usable again. If there was a tweak in there to adjust the panel height a little my old eyes would be happy.

You can change panel height in the cinnamon.css directory. Once in that directory, I think it is line 555 or so but I changed mine to 30 and it is much better. Go to usr/share/cinnamon/theme/cinnamon.css and you can access it there :wink:
I tried that, but i see no difference...

Any ideas?
crzen

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 8)

Post by crzen »

people have asked about this a couple of times so I thought I would post it here also.

If you only want to see the Cinnamon themes in the overview/themes list you can drop the listings for gnome-shell.

Goto usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui (open as admin)
Open "themeDisplay.js" file in gedit (double click)
Comment out line 172 by changing it to be: /*let gnomeshellDir = dir.get_child('gnome-shell');*/
Save and do a alt/F2 then type r then hit enter

I tried it and the result is that only cinnamon themes show up and should not effect gnome-shell.

REMEMBER: this might get undone with a cinnamon update and may need to be repeated later.
crzen

Post by crzen »

@chazdg24 You may be using a theme other than the default. If thats the case try going to :
usr/share/theme/YOUR_THEME/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
or
home/.themes/YOUR_THEME/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
It depends on where you placed the theme you are using. Then try it.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

crzen wrote:@chazdg24 You may be using a theme other than the default. If thats the case try going to :
usr/share/theme/YOUR_THEME/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
or
home/.themes/YOUR_THEME/cinnamon/cinnamon.css
It depends on where you placed the theme you are using. Then try it.
Ah good idea. I am using Elementary. This is what the cinnamon.css file has. If I was using Eleganse then I could make the change. I don't think I can make this change with Elementary unless someone knows something i don't. :)

** I did check the default Cinnamon theme and I noticed that the text is very low in the panel and the icons are the same size. Not sure whats going on but I did check to make sure I followed the instructions correctly.

@import url("app-switcher.css");
@import url("apps.css");
@import url("buttons.css");
@import url("calendar.css");
@import url("mediaplayer.css");
@import url("dash.css");
@import url("end-session.css");
@import url("gdm.css");
@import url("initial.css");
@import url("keyboard.css");
@import url("lg.css");
@import url("magnifier.css");
@import url("message.css");
@import url("modal.css");
@import url("mount.css");
@import url("overview.css");
@import url("panel.css");
@import url("polkit.css");
@import url("popup-menu.css");
@import url("run.css");
@import url("ws-switcher.css");
@import url("mintMenu.css");
@import url("windowlist.css");
crzen

Post by crzen »

@chazdg64. Ok,I downloaded elementary. It looks like the author broke down the original cinnamon.css into its individual parts and made them .css files. Actually a good idea. So if you goto panel.css, line 10 should be the adjustments your looking for.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

crzen, your "hide gnome shell themes from the over theme tab" tweak probably won't be necessary as it looks like exactly that is in the works for the next update (1.1.4)
crzen

Post by crzen »

I saw that. Actually, I glad that the dumb little tweaks I come up with will be irrelevent as Mint grows. What this means is that the Mint team is a step ahead of everyone in making Mint the way they want it to be.

(EDIT) I just wish someone would tell me how to move the weather over to the right :mrgreen:
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

bimsebasse wrote:crzen, your "hide gnome shell themes from the over theme tab" tweak probably won't be necessary as it looks like exactly that is in the works for the next update (1.1.4)
Any word when the next update will be?
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Haven't seen any, hoping SOON :D
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

crzen wrote:@chazdg64. Ok,I downloaded elementary. It looks like the author broke down the original cinnamon.css into its individual parts and made them .css files. Actually a good idea. So if you goto panel.css, line 10 should be the adjustments your looking for.
Thanks I found it. I was able to make the fonts bigger, but not the icons or the size of the menu. Not sure what to tweak.
crzen

Post by crzen »

To anyone using the gnome-shell weather extention in cinnamon. There was an update today for it, but it didnt effect the copy in cinnamon/extensions.

If you goto: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/weather@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
Copy extentions.js and stylesheet.css.
Paste them into: /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/weather@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
You can then have the full color icons in the weather and whatever else it updated.

Still didnt move it closer to the clock though :cry:
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

crzen wrote:To anyone using the gnome-shell weather extention in cinnamon. There was an update today for it, but it didnt effect the copy in cinnamon/extensions.

If you goto: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/weather@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
Copy extentions.js and stylesheet.css.
Paste them into: /usr/share/cinnamon/extensions/weather@gnome-shell-extensions.gnome.org
You can then have the full color icons in the weather and whatever else it updated.

Still didnt move it closer to the clock though :cry:
How close do you want it? I have the update icon, then the clock icon, followed the sound icon, network icon and then the date and time. Not too shabby...
crzen

Post by crzen »

I just want to move the weather to the right one block (or the status buttons to the left). Here is what my panel looks like (Its nothing special): Panel
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

crzen wrote:I just want to move the weather to the right one block (or the status buttons to the left). Here is what my panel looks like (Its nothing special): Panel
That is what mine looks like, kind of...

I can live with this until Cinnamon evolves with more options, but I want more... :)
crzen

Re: Mint 12 Tips & Tricks Guide (updated Jan 10)

Post by crzen »

I can live with this until Cinnamon evolves with more options, but I want more... :)
Me too. But in my quest to find the entry for moving it, I keep finding the other little tweaks. :lol:
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

crzen wrote:Me too. But in my quest to find the entry for moving it, I keep finding the other little tweaks. :lol:
Pass whatever tweaks you come up with...:)
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

I'm still wanting to know how to remove the day of the week from the clock. That and making the icons on the panel just a tad larger.
crzen

Post by crzen »

HEY partial success!

Now to move the notifications box to the left
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Joe_Linux wrote:I'm still wanting to know how to remove the day of the week from the clock.
That's probably gonna be possible in version 1.1.4.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Which theme gives you that dark gradient panel, crzen, is that a mod you've made?

Return to “Tutorials”