How To: replace the fortune cookies with Viz top tips.

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

How To: replace the fortune cookies with Viz top tips.

Postby 2Karl on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:27 am

Hi all,

I just started using Mint 12 recently and I'm having a blast so far. I especially like the little fortune cookie messages which appear when you open a new terminal... only I found them to be a little dry. So I decided to replace them with Viz Top Tips. Readers outside of the UK may not know what these are, so here's a little background. Viz is a humourous comic book aimed at adults... if you imagine Dandy or The Beano with swearing, then you're on the right track. For the most part, it's pretty rubbish, but they have a sectionc alled "top tips", where supposed readers' "tips" are printed (the whole section is a satire of the banality prevalent in many similar sections of lifestyle magazines). Sometimes they're ridiculous, sometimes they're scathing political satire, sometimes they're subtly hilarious is ways you don't realise at first. Here's some examples:

'YOUNG mothers. Pretend to be unbelievably dull and unimaginative by meeting other young mothers in public places and only ever talking about your children.'

Phil Telfer, e-mail

'INTERIM governments. Avoid coalition forces overstaying their welcome by yawning loudly and saying you have an early start in the morning.'

Hamid Karzai, e-mail

Obviously they're not really suitable for everybody, so use your own discretion.

So how do you set it up? Well, easy. Download the text file [which I've had to remove due to bizarre forum rules, but pm me and I'll send a copy], and save it in /usr/games/fortunes/ - you'll need to be root, so if you downloaded the file to your home directory you can just run:
Code: Select all
sudo mv ~/viz /usr/share/games/fortunes/viz

then you need to create the database which fortunes will read:
sudo strfile /usr/share/games/fortunes/viz

You can check to see if everything's working properly by running:
fortune viz

The next thing to do is modify the mint-fortune script so that it uses the viz database:
gksudo gedit /usr/bin/mint-fortune

look for the line which calls the "fortune" script - it's line 30 in mine - and change it to add "viz" after the fortune call:
    /usr/games/fortune viz | $command -f $cow

Save the file and you're done! You can test it with:
mint-fortune

Now you should get a viz top tip every time you open a terminal.
"It's a pity she won't live. But then who does?" - Gaff.
2Karl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How To: replace the fortune cookies with Viz top tips.

Postby antikythera on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:14 am

Roger Mellie would be proud :)

Not into the whole fortune cookie thing and I've disabled them. However, if I was going to have any then Viz top tips would be the ones. Either that or Monty Python Quotes.
A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.
antikythera
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kernowmint on Tue May 15, 2012 2:21 am

Is it possible to type up your own favourite sayings and use them for fortune cookies?
kernowmint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dagon on Fri May 18, 2012 2:17 pm

kernowmint wrote:Is it possible to type up your own favourite sayings and use them for fortune cookies?

Well off course there is! :D
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64915&start=0
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Tutorials / Howtos