As most people are aware, the current ati prop. drivers are pretty hit and miss (depends on the model) but there are issues with using hdmi output on non-prop drivers.
Get display output (not just the desktop and nothing else showing):
- in system settings - displays - set the checkbox for mirror displays, set the resolution to the highest on the hdmi device not on the monitor (as the res on the output device attached to the hdmi will be lower)
Fix the fast forward playing videos:
- change: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
To: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=" quiet splash radeon.audio=1 radeon.modeset=1"
in the /etc/default/grub file, then do update-grub
1st extra param: forces audio recognition
2nd extra param: forces kernel mode setting to see the radeon card
- apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
Installs some extra drivers (mainly tv cards, but also radeon drivers)
To get sound:
- install paman - pulse audio manager and pavucontrol - pulse audio volume control
- play a video
- open pulse audio volume control, and increase the volume on the hdmi output
Edit or Create: /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf
Insert this line: options radeon modeset=1 dynpm=1
1st param: forces audio recognition
2nd param: forces dynamic power management , i.e gpu clock frequencies are set according to work load
all should work
Some useful links:
A Radeon Odyssey: http://radeon.koolfy.be/
XOrg Wiki: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo
Unofficial Wiki for the AMD Linux Driver: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide