Installing Latest Nvidia Driver into Linux Mint 12

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
shevaroyan

Re: Installing Latest Nvidia Driver into Linux Mint 12

Post by shevaroyan »

AlbertP wrote:Did you install nvidia-current from synaptic? nvidia-settings alone isn't enough.
Ah-ha. Did that and seems OK thank you!

Had a look at DISPLAY in System Settings. LM reports my monitor as "unknown" and there are two resolutions, neither of which is the natural resolution of my monitor. Can I improve on these settings or should I just leave well alone?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you use the nvidia official driver you need to use the "NVidia X Server Settings" program (that's the nvidia-settings which you installed) instead of the normal Monitors which you would use with any other driver.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
scgendo

Post by scgendo »

Hi, just tried your method as i have an nvidia 555m and doesn't work with the normal drivers, now when i start i get a check screen which says "system V run level compatibility fail" amongst others and can only turn the machine off from there.
I can access recovery and after a filesystem check i can get a promt, what to do now? tried to reinstall the driver but says "run level failed" i can progress from there but still the same issue.
Help please, i don't have a back up of the system.
Also as i have the /home directory on another hard drive would it be possible to reinstall the system and keep /home intact?

Thanks!
DMHReaper72

Post by DMHReaper72 »

Is this procedure valid for use in Nadia x64?

I have a GeForce GT555m card in my Dell XPS L702x and upon installing Nadia the processor has begun to run hot.

Im assuming this is because the GPU is not being used and instead all graphics are being run through the CPU.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ DMHReaper: Please open a new topic if you need any more help on this.

You'll need to install Bumblebee for that GPU, instead of just installing the NVIDIA driver, because I suppose this is a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus hybrid graphics. That your laptop runs hot is because it's having both GPUs (CPU integrated graphics, and NVIDIA graphics) enabled now. By installing Bumblebee your computer is probably less hot / using less power.

Please see: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee
DMHReaper72

Post by DMHReaper72 »

Thank you.

Is this in addition to installing the Nvidia drivers and or removing Nouveau?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

No, you don't need any of the steps described in this forum thread, just install Bumblebee as described on that page.
johsmic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johsmic »

Just some updated info:
I just installed Mint 14 with xfce4 on my Asus ul30vt.

Your tutorial worked perfect, with a small modification:
- Instead of:

Code: Select all

# sudo service lightdm stop
I used:

Code: Select all

# sudo service mdm stop
I used the newest NVIDIA-driver: 310.32

Thank you for your guide - I have struggled to get my nvidia-card to work with Linux for a long time!

--
Johsmic
Thinkpad T480 i7 - Mint 20.3 Xfce, Kernel 5.13
OptiFrankenPlex - Mint 20.3 Xfce, Kernel 5.13
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

Hi,I'm new to linux.. I'm in Linux Mint 14 as of now, and wondering if this tutorial is still the way to go to get the correct NVidia driver, I just ordered a NVidia GTX650 DDR5. I know it's not the latest and greatest but good enough for me & what I can afford right now, and an upgrade from my geforce 9500 GT. I downloaded the driver from NVidia that says is for this card. The version is 'NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.40.run'

Now I didn't do anything yet because I know things change quickly in the linux world especially since I'm using Linux Mint 14 Mate 64 bit now and not version 12.

So what route should I go to install this driver for this card.

thanks for any responses,

John
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ jsplicer: Easiest way to get the NVIDIA driver is through Software Sources on the Drivers tab (or Additional Drivers in 13 and before). This tutorial is only necessary if the drivers provided in Software Sources / Additional Drivers are too old for you and you need the very latest driver instead.
The 310 driver is also available in Software Sources on Mint 14; it's the 2nd one of the two "experimental" drivers. But the default 302 "recommended" driver should also work well for you.
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I am happy to post. Complete success, in installing my new nvidia GTX 650 card. I followed the tutorial above and the nvidia driver disabled the Nouveau for me and wrote it into the config file, then after a reboot, I had to run the nvidia installer again, it then installed, and now when the computer starts up it gives a quick splash screen of NVIDIA, it also istalled a monitor panel in the control center, that gives you all the setttings, and the temp. Mine is running idle at about 32C and naturally goes up during game play.

But I thought I was going to get a slight increase in performance from my 9500GT, boy was I wrong, even some of the software like Cairo works now as does window compositing. Game play is absolutlely beautiful on open arena.

I have to learn how to do bench marking now, but over all everything just loads on my screen almost instantly for anything on the internet. Very happy with the card and the driver.

Thank You for the tutorial!

John

Return to “Tutorials”