Future upgrades

Write tutorials and howtos in here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Do not start a support topic here please. Before you post please read this

Future upgrades

Postby kwellis on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi
New to Mint and now I know why its called Mint. Its so refreshing.

My question is about upgrading to the next version. Will it require a new install or an upgrade that will not require a reinstall of grub boot loader?
My biggest problem is Vista and its bootloader (and I am also booting XP) each on there own drives with a 4th for shared data 2 ide and 2 sata after I installed Mint I could not boot up any OS until I did a clean install of Vista so it had controll of the boot operation and I boot Mint and Xp from Vistas boot menu. When I installed Mint I was not asked where to put grub It automaticaly installed into mbr and that was what caused my problems. A choice of 1st sector of Mints drive would of saved me alot of work. So before I put a lot of effort into Mint I need to know about upgrades? Best case scenario is like Ubuntu's upgrades.
Thank in advance and I am enjoying this Minty experience
Ken :D
kwellis
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Future upgrades

Postby Husse on Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:42 am

First off - as we are based on Ubuntu we inherit both the good and the bad. The Ubiqity installer is mostly good but it hides away the option to change the location of grub
This is under the last "section" of the install, under the Advanced button
It turns out that you can use normal denomination for disks there and it's then transformed to the right grub format.
From Daryna to Elyssa we have no "automated" upgrade, this will (if all goes well) come from Elyssa to the next version
There will however be an upgrade path, but it needs a bit hands on....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Tutorials / Howtos