How can I translate Olivia?

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sjheiss

How can I translate Olivia?

Post by sjheiss »

I would love to help translate some of the many missing Basque translations in Olivia, but out of the three possible versions of Mint you can translate for, all are long out-dated, and none are Olivia... How come Olivia isn't listed as a "series" I can translate for? It would make me think that that Launchpad site is just extremely outdated, but there are very recent translations there... Is Olivia mislabeled, or has absolutely nothing been changed since Isadora, or what?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How can I translate Olivia?

Post by catweazel »

Join the dev IRC channel, #linuxmint-dev at spotchat.org. Just open XChat (or Quassel for KDE) from your menu and type /join #linuxmint-dev.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
sjheiss

Post by sjheiss »

OK, done. I sent a message and am now awaiting a response from anyone. :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

All translations are done to the isadora release, so it's not outdated :)

Have you joined the Basque translation team for Linux Mint? Once you have created a Launchpad account go here https://launchpad.net/~linuxmint-transl ... eam-basque and click to join the team. Clem will need to approve you joining, so if it takes a bit of time indeed got to #linuxmint-dev and try and catch Clem there :wink:

You can go here and start completing the translations once you've joined the translation team: https://translations.launchpad.net/linu ... a/+lang/eu. You could already start translating without having joined the team, but that will just create work for the translation team with having to review your translations. So wait till you've joined :) Logged in with your Launchpad account, you can also email the other translators if you want to align with them.

Thanks for considering to help on the translations! It looks like there is quite a bit of work to do, so your help is very much appreciated!
sjheiss

Post by sjheiss »

It's a bit confusing that we translate for Isadora!

Well, I joined the team, and it seems that I don't need to be approved.

Also, I noticed that in the Mint "mount" command line utility there is a typo in the Basque translation. Is this fixable on Launchpad? I realize that this is probably not Mint specific, so I'm not really sure where to look. Thanks!

Once I add translations, how long does it take for them to appear for other users? The next Update Manager update, immediately, or what? Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

sjheiss wrote:Also, I noticed that in the Mint "mount" command line utility there is a typo in the Basque translation. Is this fixable on Launchpad? I realize that this is probably not Mint specific, so I'm not really sure where to look. Thanks!
This would be translated over at Ubuntu. The translatable programs on Ubuntu for Basque are here https://translations.launchpad.net/ubun ... y/+lang/eu and the Basque translation team for Ubuntu is here https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-eu. mount is built from util-linux, and you'll find util-linux in the list of translatable programs (I found it on the third page IIRC).
sjheiss wrote:Once I add translations, how long does it take for them to appear for other users? The next Update Manager update, immediately, or what? Thanks!
Eh, good question :) Translations are refreshed I believe with the next release of the program concerned. In some cases that might mean not until the next release of Linux Mint. So there might pass weeks or months before your work is rewarded with a public release, but that goes for all the development teams and so I hope that doesn't discourage you. The months running up to the next release of Linux Mint are a driving force for all the people involved with development and testing of Linux Mint :wink:
Alanm

Post by Alanm »

I am translating into Danish and I was having the same question.
Does this mean that the translations are always trailing behind?! That translations for LM 15 are not made available until LM 16 is released? What about new sentences added in LM 16 - will they be made available for translation before LM 16 is released?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Alanm wrote:What about new sentences added in LM 16 - will they be made available for translation before LM 16 is released?
AFAIK, the translatable strings are updated on launchpad during the development cycle of Linux Mint 16. So any translation team can work alongside the developers while moving towards Linux Mint 16 and any translations that are completed in time will be included in Linux Mint 16.

While a lot of developed is ongoing, not all of it means that there are new strings to translate :wink: Most of the translatable strings stay the same from one release to another. If the current translations aren't complete, working on that is always an improvement for the next release!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Update from Clem; the translation branch is now renamed to "Latest" so there can be no more confusion :D http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/08/small-change-regarding-translations/

Return to “Translations”