Testing a translation

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AdrianO

Testing a translation

Post by AdrianO »

Sorry if I'm the only one who doesn't figure out how to do this, but, how do you test your translation first? I have translated some of the mintTools and I want to test my translations 'live'. I've put the translation into a text file, renamed it to to message.po, but when it comes to compiling it I'm totally stuck. Never done this before. Can somebody help me please?!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Testing a translation

Post by merlwiz79 »

clem wrote:Note: Once mintUpdate 2.8 is released you can test your translation by saving as a file called messages.po and by compiling that file. For instance if you were translating in Spanish (es), you would save it into /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po, then you would go in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES and type "sudo msgfmt messages.po". After that you would launch mintUpdate again (from the command line, as root: "LANGUAGE=es /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py).

Return to “Translations”