Linux Mint 13 64 bit boot problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint 13 64 bit boot problems

Postby koolcam98 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 am

I recently installed Linux Mint 16 on my computer. Linux Mint 16 did not work very well so I decided to try to downgrade to Linux Mint 13. After installing my computer would not boot to anything just a grub command line. I treid to use boot-repair on a live usb multiple times, at a certain point when a booted my computer I was able to boot only into Linux Mint but no windows. After booting into actual Linux Mint 13 i tried to use boot-repair again to get windows on the grub menu, this only messed it up again and right now I am stuck on my live usb unable to boot either Windows 8 or Linux Mint 13. I could really use help on this because I am not super used to grub or any of that. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 13 64 bit boot problems

Postby gold_finger on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:30 am

If your computer is fairly new (1-2 years old) and came with Windows 8 pre-installed, there is a good chance that Windows was installed in something called UEFI/EFI-mode. If that is the case, you need to use a 64-bit version of Mint and it needs to be installed in the same mode. Do an internet search to find the "user manual" for your exact computer model because you will need to go into its UEFI (BIOS) settings in order to ensure a proper install. Once you've found the manual, read through this tutorial for installing Mint under those circumstances: [TUTORIAL] Installing Mint on a Windows 8/8.1 Computer.

If disabled UEFI-mode on your prior attempt to install Mint, try enabling it again to see if that lets you boot into Win 8 again. If it works, do yourself a favor and make Win 8 restore disks and backups of your important data BEFORE your next install attempt.

If you want to, post the following output from a terminal using your live Mint DVD. We'll take a look at it for clues while you read through the tutorial above.
* Boot live Mint DVD
* Open a terminal -- Menu -> Accessories -> Terminal
* Copy/Paste the following and hit enter (one-at-a-time):
Code: Select all
ls sys/firmware

sudo parted -l
(Lowercase "L" at the end, not number 1.)

sudo blkid

Also, which version of Mint? (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce, KDE?)

When you installed version 13, did you see the slideshow presentation during the installation? Or did the installer not show that after you finished entering your information and hit "Install Now".

koolcam98 wrote:Linux Mint 16 did not work very well

Can you describe what you mean by that? What types of problems did you experience?
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.
gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:13 pm

While messing around on the live usb I installed Mint again and now when I boot my computer it allows me to boot into my Linux mint, but it will not let me boot into Windows because there is nothing there. I am in my Linux Mint install right now but I cannot boot into Windows 8. I am using Cinnamon Mint by the way.
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:35 pm

While in the installed Mint, open a terminal and post back with output from these commands:

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"

sudo parted -l

sudo blkid

cat /etc/fstab
Add "Solved" to title of thread if solution is found. (Go to your first post and hit "Edit" button.) This helps make it easier for others to find solutions that work.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Results in Order:
1. [ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI boot on HDD" || echo "Legacy boot on HDD"
Legacy boot on HDD
2. sudo parted -l
Model: ATA ST500LM012 HN-M5 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 525MB 840MB 315MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
3 840MB 974MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 974MB 240GB 239GB ntfs Basic data partition boot
5 240GB 240GB 1000kB bios_grub
7 240GB 489GB 249GB ext4
8 489GB 493GB 3980MB linux-swap(v1)
9 493GB 499GB 6425MB ext4
6 499GB 500GB 1074MB fat32 Basic data partition hidden

Model: USB DISK 2.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 4105MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 31.7kB 4104MB 4104MB primary fat32 boot, lba

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label

3. sudo blkid

/dev/sda1: LABEL="Recovery" UUID="48A2980EA298031C" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda4: UUID="F074C17574C13F5A" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sda6: LABEL="SAMSUNG_REC" UUID="AAC4-B7DB" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda9: UUID="c1c3908c-06be-4601-8f52-f2b3a6988fe7" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda7: UUID="cc22d67b-af00-4fd5-a0c6-dedd056c0ae8" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sda2: LABEL="SYSTEM" UUID="8EC6-F3AA" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sda8: UUID="a0303ebd-d435-4479-838c-14e4abc2428a" TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="New Volume" UUID="E7BE-3DD9" TYPE="vfat"

4.cat /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=cc22d67b-af00-4fd5-a0c6-dedd056c0ae8 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=a0303ebd-d435-4479-838c-14e4abc2428a none swap sw 0 0
UUID=8EC6-F3AA /boot/efi vfat defaults 0 1
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:53 pm

Well, your Mint is installed in "Legacy-mode". It should have been installed in UEFI-mode because that's what Windows is in.

* Your root partition is /dev/sda7.
* Swap partition is /dev/sda8.
* You've got an extra Linux partition that's not apparently being used for anything at /dev/sda9. I have a feeling that used to be the Windows recovery partition, but it got somehow reformatted for Linux along one of your multiple install attempts.
* There's a bios_grub partition at /dev/sda5 which Mint created for installing to GPT disk in Legacy-mode.
* The EFI System Partition (which is where grub needs to be, but isn't) is on /dev/sda2.

You might get lucky trying to convert the installation to UEFI-mode. Boot computer using the same live DVD/USB you used to install Mint, then follow steps below.
* Install Boot-Repair to the live Mint, but don't run the "Recommended Repair".
* Instead, follow instructions here for converting Mint to UEFI/EFI-mode.
    -- check box for "Separate /boot/efi partition" and point it at "/dev/sda2"
    -- hit "Apply"
    -- cross your fingers, reboot w/o DVD/USB and see if it worked.
    -- if boots to Mint, but no Win 8 choice, try following in terminal and reboot again after:
    sudo update-grub

If that didn't work try this tool: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html.

If that doesn't work, use GParted to delete sda5, sda7, & sda8. (Leave sda9 alone for now. Just ignore it. Under NO circumstance are you to delete /dev/sda2. There's a chance you can get Win 8 booting again, but if you delete sda2 you can kiss that chance goodbye.) Then go follow tutorial link I gave you in beginning to install properly.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Hey so I have been trying your suggestions and I was able yo install Linux Mint in uefi but when a boot my computer I only get the option to boot Mint. I am hesitant of trying boot-repair because it has messed up my computer more when I have used it. I do not want to mess with it untill I had a second opinion. Being that I have been in this place before and then messed it up by just trying to fix the problem myself.
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

No Windows in Grub Menu

Postby koolcam98 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:03 pm

After installing Linux Mint 13 64x in UEFI on my Samsung Laptop I booted my computer to find that Windows 8 was not there. For the past day or two I have been trying to figure out how to get it back. I have tried boot-repair multiple times but it only screws up my the boot even more. I have looked through hundreds of fourm post regarding this topic and none of them have worked. Any help would be greatly apreciated
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby koolcam98 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 pm

I have tried sudo update-grub and nothing happened.
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Windows in Grub Menu

Postby gold_finger on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Boot into Mint and run this in a terminal to see if it adds Windows to the menu:
sudo update-grub

Reboot to see if it worked.

If not, then post back output of these commands from installed Mint:

lsblk

sudo parted -l
(That's an uppercase "L" at the end.)

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Sudo update-grub did not work here are the results for the commands

EFI boot on HDD

lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 500M 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 300M 0 part /boot/efi
├─sda6 8:6 0 1G 0 part
├─sda4 8:4 0 222.7G 0 part /media/F074C17574C13F5A
├─sda5 8:5 0 20G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 128M 0 part
├─sda7 8:7 0 8G 0 part [SWAP]
└─sda8 8:8 0 213.1G 0 part /home
sr0 11:0 1 694.2M 0 rom

sudo parted -l
Model: ATA ST500LM012 HN-M5 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 525MB 524MB ntfs Basic data partition hidden, diag
2 525MB 840MB 315MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
3 840MB 974MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
4 974MB 240GB 239GB ntfs Basic data partition
5 240GB 262GB 21.5GB ext4
7 262GB 270GB 8590MB linux-swap(v1)
8 270GB 499GB 229GB ext4
6 499GB 500GB 1074MB fat32 Basic data partition hidden

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0
has been opened read-only.
Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:47 pm

The Good News -- you DID succeed in installing both Mint and Windows in UEFI-mode. Good job! Partitions look correct this time and first command output confirms Mint in UEFI-mode.

Bad News (not so bad really) -- I don't know off top of my head easiest way to solve Windows boot problem if update-grub command didn't add it. Will need a little time to look into that. You have options, one of which is trying Boot-Repair -- but I want to look into it a bit to see if any particular solution is most likely to work and be easy to follow. Give me an hour or two -- gonna get something to eat first. We're almost there, so just sit tight a bit if you can. Since you had problems with Boot-Repair before, I'm going to check into that for this situation a bit more too. Entirely possible you won't have problem this time because both are installed correctly.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Yah thanks so much for all the help. Take your time I am in no hurry to fix this because I can boot into Mint so my computer is functioning. I really appreaciate the help so far.
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:37 am

Ok -- looked for solutions to that and seems like Boot-Repair should fix it. Like I said before, I suspect problem you had before with it was because you had mixed-mode install. Now that you have both installed in same mode, think it should work this time.

BEFORE doing that, here is what I'm assuming:
* You installed Win 7 and were able to boot successfully into it afterwards.
* Windows boot problem only occurred after you installed Mint.
* If you needed to shrink down any Windows partitions after installing it to make room for Mint -- you first rebooted into Windows to let it make any adjustments to the new size. If you didn't reboot to Windows after shrinking one of its partitions, that may be the cause of the problem and may require use of a Win recovery disk.
* If you didn't need to shrink Windows partitions, then ignore last point.

If something wrong with my assumptions, report back with details of how situation is different before proceding with Boot-Repair.

To Fix:
* Boot computer with live Mint USB/DVD
* Follow steps here to install Boot-Repair to live environment and run the "recommended repair": https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair. (Save the pastebin url it gives you when it ends. If process didn't work we can look at the results for clues.)
* If you want to test out option 2 below, go ahead and do that.

Another Option for Fix:
* Read info here on tool called rEFInd: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html
* Use link for "Getting rEFInd" on left side of page.
* Follow instructions for making a bootable CD with rEFInd to test it out first.
* If it works follow instructions for installing to system.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:24 am

Before I try boot-repai (again) I was wondering what I should do when I get to the point were it asks me if I want to "bakup and rename windows efi files" because I have answered yes and no before and neither helped me.
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:49 am

I don't know to tell you the truth.

Don't use Windows and have only repaired grub manually myself (with terminal commands) rather than using Boot-Repair to do it for me -- so not familiar with options it presents in that regard.

If that just means that it is going to create a backup copy of the Windows EFI boot files that can be used to restore back to EFI System Partition if necessary, then I would imagine that's a good idea. Would guess it then asks you "where" to save them and you might be able to direct it to save a copy on a USB or something. Or maybe it justs saves a copy in the EFI partition under a different name and restoring is just a matter of naming it back to original. Just guessing here -- but creating a backup shouldn't hurt anything I would imagine.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:03 pm

So I just tried boot-repair with recommended repair, I also said yes when it asked me to rename and backup windows efi files. When I rebooted my computer it comes up to a grub command line nothing else. I did not change any settings or anything. This is my boot-repair url results http://paste.ubuntu.com/7222959/
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:42 pm

Not sure what to do at this point. Think best option might be to restore the backed-up files to get back to where you were before; then try the rEFInd utility instead.

* Boot live Mint again
* Install Boot-Repair, but don't run "Recommended Repair"
* Click on "Advanced" options -> untick "Backup and rename EFI files" -> tick "Restore EFI Backups". Save any pastebin url it gives.
* When done, go to rEFInd site and follow instructions to make bootable CD.
* Try rEFInd -- if works, then follow instructions to install it on the hard drive.

I wish I could be of more help, but at this point just don't know anything else to try.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Postby koolcam98 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I allready have rEFInd so I will try that. Hopefully it will all work out. Anyways thanks for all the help
koolcam98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gold_finger on Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:21 pm

If rEFInd works from live CD and you have any questions/problems installing it to the hard drive, might be a good idea to make a new post specifically about that -- maybe with a title like "Need Help with rEFInd?"

There is a forum member, srs5694, who checks these pages periodically for posts like that and UEFI-related posts. He is the one who created the rEFInd tool and will likely be able to help if he sees your post. He's also probably the most knowledgeable person here on UEFI-related problems in general. So, if you get lucky and see a response from him, you're in very good hands.

gold_finger
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Installation & Boot