Interesting LiveCD and Remastersys behavior

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Interesting LiveCD and Remastersys behavior

Postby dalesrob on Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:37 pm

Hi,

I've been using Mint for about 3 days now and I've just created a personalized LiveCD using Remastersys - which, in my opinion, is a pretty miraculous piece of software (big thanks to the Mint developer(s) who created this).

Spec is:
Dell Inspirion 640m with Intel 945 integrated graphics card

But I had some behavior that was identical to what happened when I tried out the LiveCD when I was first trialling Mint4.0 - essentially, when I first boot from the DVD then I get a perfect boot process which goes to a perfect 1280X800 screen. But if I try booting again from the RemasterSys or Mint LiveCDE - I then get a perfect boot process - only followed by a blank screen and no panels, no icons on the desktop - funnily enough the Cube effect still works using Ctrl-Alt-Left etc. but I can not call up a gnome terminal using Alt-f2.

Thereafter, each time I boot the same thing happens - blank screen, no panels, unresponsive keyboard apart from the Cube effects.

The only way to stop this behaviour is to load another LiveCD - say the Ubuntu Feisty Fox 7.04 - and somehow doing that resets the graphics properties and next time I lauch a Remastersys LiveCD or a Minit4.0 LiveCD then I get my desktop back.

- My only guess about what might be causing this behaviour is that the Ubuntu Live CD uses the i810 graphics driver and the Mint CDs uses the Intel Experimental Modesetting driver ( so difference between "intel" and "i810" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf). I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or has any better ideas as to what might be happening but its intresting from the point of view that in some way the LiveCD is persisting some of its configuration - perhaps in the graphics card itself.

David.
dalesrob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Interesting LiveCD and Remastersys behavior

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:03 am

I can't give much help, but over and over I see examples of this behavior, mostly that you have to boot into windows and back to Mint to get it working.
This is because (and I have to be vague) something (in firmware) is set to a value Mint cannot handle and unlock but Win or in this case another Linux can
Hard to figure out and sometimes really annoying
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot