I Think I Made It Worse

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

I Think I Made It Worse

Postby Deomedes on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:18 am

Hey Guys,
Its your friendly, neighborhood noob, Deomedes, here, begging for your thoughtfull considerations of this problem thats got me sweatin in my seat. I've been struggling, as some of you know, with getting my graphics to work (let alone getting compiz to work.) Tonight i took it upon myself to go ahead and re install Linux. One would think that this would fix most of the problems, since that is what was recomended, (that the driver that came with it would suffice.) I had no problems installing the first time. Especially when it came to the partition place. My computer guy, when he originally installed linux mint. Gave me 20 gigs of space for the second partition (the first being the windows partition.) I also recall him saying, (in hindsight), that he used about 10 gigs for linux itself on the partition. Heres the fun part, noobish little Deomedes didnt really listen, and thought he was supposed to use all 20 gbs when he was asked how much of the partition he was supposed to allocate to Linux. So he did... Now he has the wonderfull problem of getting the "100% of the hardisk space is being used message."
I tried to think hard and came up with the solution of re-installing once again from the cd that was allready in the drive. However when i came to the partitioning space, it seems that i no longer have the option of using roughly 50% of the space for linux, and only have the option of using hte whole entire 120 gigs of my actuall HD and the other option of manual. I'm up a creek without a paddle, just a cellphone called linuxmint forums. I'm calling 911 to you guys, please send help :)

Sincerely,
Deomedes
Deomedes
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I Think I Made It Worse

Postby Acid_1 on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:39 am

I'm assuming you're using windows?

So

1) Boot Mint
2) Install till partitioner
3) Assuming your tunes/apps/etc are on your win drive, delete all the other partitions, except your win drive (prolly sda1)
4) Create, out of the empty space, a partition in ext3 format, using all the space, except 2gb of it. (mount point /)
5) Use the last two gb as linux swap.
6) Install

Download fs-driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/ when your booted in windows, and install it. you now have access back and forth to each OS files. Remember, each os is unaware of the others permissions. Don't mess with something that you don't know how to unfix (or keep a txt file saying what you did, so you can reverse it :P)

l8rs and good luck. 8) 8)
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I Think I Made It Worse

Postby MagnusB on Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Acid_1 wrote:Download fs-driver from http://www.fs-driver.org/ when your booted in windows, and install it. you now have access back and forth to each OS files. Remember, each os is unaware of the others permissions. Don't mess with something that you don't know how to unfix (or keep a txt file saying what you did, so you can reverse it :P)

l8rs and good luck. 8) 8)

Don't install fs-driver unless you need to access Linux files in Windows, but if you do, do not edit any files outside /home/username.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot