nest long term release...(Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perkins

nest long term release...(Solved)

Post by perkins »

hi guys just a quickie when will the latest long term release be around after Isadora lays to rest...and does my package manager offer to update from Isadora - current , to the latest long term release or do I have to start 'fresh' and install the new system - I have read about saving 'Home' folders etc but I am just curious as to whether the update manager thingy will give me the choice to update and is this a wise move...thank you for your time and (I suspect) your patience...

Ok thank you fresh install it shall be when the new release comes around...thanks for your help....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: nest long term release...

Post by zerozero »

the next lts (mint 13 maya) is now being tested as RC http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=102030 so expect for the final in the next couple weeks or so.

re. the question about upgrading:
- no, there's no in-place upgrade from one release to the other in mint.
- with lts releases (so far apart in time and so different in every aspect) i would recommend to backup the most important and do a fresh install.
sunewbie

Re: nest long term release...

Post by sunewbie »

Linux Mint cannot be upgraded like Ubuntu, though Ubuntu has mixed results.

Upgrade here means a fresh install of newer version.

As zerozero has said, it is always better to back up /home folder and go for fresh install.

Do not forget to format / (root) partition and do not format /home partition. Just point to it with format option 'unchecked'

Return to “Installation & Boot”