Linux Mint 13 MATE, "Downloading language packs" takes hours

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Linux Mint 13 MATE, "Downloading language packs" takes hours

Postby dkaczynski on Sat May 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello all. First time poster here; I hope this is an appropriate forum.

I am using VMware Player (v4.0.3) to install 32-bit Linux Mint 13 with the MATE desktop.

During the slideshow section of the installation process, the status bar reaches "Downloading language packs," and the estimated download time jumps between about 100:00 and 1500:00. I am not sure if the estimated time is in hours:minutes or minutes:seconds, but in either case, the download is taking an extraordinary amount of time.

I am located in central Michigan, and my broadband connection typically gets about 15 Mbps. I am watching the status of my network activity in my host OS (Windows 7 Home), and I see mostly no activity and, occasionally, small bursts of minor network activity. All other network activity, such as streaming music and video, work fine in the host and guest operating systems.

I found out that I can skip the download of the language packs during the Maya installation, but I am wondering, is anyone else experiencing this particular hindrance? I was unable to find any similar topics in this or other forums. It would be nice if the OS install gave the user the option to skip the download before it starts or to select an appropriate mirror. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers :p
Last edited by dkaczynski on Sat May 19, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkaczynski
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 13 MATE, "Downloading language packs" takes h

Postby squeezy on Sat May 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Yes, Ubuntu's servers are extraordinarily slow today. It took me over 16 minutes just to do an 'apt-get update' just now. No upgrading or installing any software today!

EDIT: This usually takes 10 seconds or less. When I installed Maya a couple days ago there was no problem at all.
squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dkaczynski on Sat May 19, 2012 2:06 pm

squeezy wrote:Yes, Ubuntu's servers are extraordinarily slow today. It took me over 16 minutes just to do an 'apt-get update' just now. No upgrading or installing any software today!

EDIT: This usually takes 10 seconds or less. When I installed Maya a couple days ago there was no problem at all.

Ah, thanks for the speedy reply! It makes a lot more sense now. I see my update manager struggling with anything coming from an ubuntu domain name.
dkaczynski
Level 1
Level 1

Postby floweringmind on Sat May 19, 2012 4:15 pm

I apologize for venting my frustration with you. I now believe you are right that the issue is with my video card being too new. I have a Nvida Geforce GTX 550ti and the nouveau drivers used to bring up the desktop for install do not support my card at the current time. I tried Ubuntu 12.04 and I saw the screen briefly flicker at the point when the desktop would appear and then drop back to a prompt. So I guess I will have to wait till fall and hope the next version supports my card as I haven't found a work around.
floweringmind
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pigshead on Sat May 19, 2012 6:38 pm

Same here
my location is Cardiff UK
painfully slow downloading language packs
ill give it a day or two before i install Mint
as i don,t know how important these packs are
I'm sure the problem will be resolved by then.
pigshead
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot