Daryna KDE wont boot to a graphical boot!!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Daryna KDE wont boot to a graphical boot!!

Postby Walking Dude on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 pm

I just installed Daryna KDE to a computer with many HDDs and followed the instruction on the release page. > if you use a separate partition for /boot you will not get a graphical boot. To fix this, copy /etc/grub/message.mint to /boot/grub/, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and change gfxboot=/grub/message.mint <

I did copy /etc/grub/message.mint to /boot/grub/ and used nano to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to what it recommends the release notes but it didn't work.
It actually made the boot menu look worse.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Before Installing the KDE version I had GNOME and it was very good, but wanted t give KDE a try. I'm fairly new to Linux and I have no experience at all with the console.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Walking Dude on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walking Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Daryna KDE wont boot to a graphical boot!!

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:10 am

Walking Dude,

Greetings Sir,

First off, multiple posts on the same topic is not going to win you a lot of friends around here. Certainly not with me anyway. Just a tip. :-)

Now that is out of the way, lets look at your problem. Following the release notes should have fixed the menu issue so there must be something else going on. Open "Kate" and navigate to /boot/grub/ and confirm that the file "message.mint" is there. You don't need to open it. Then open /boot/grub/menu.list. Copy and post the contents of that file here please. Maybe something will jump out at us.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Walking Dude on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:29 pm

It boots in to console mode or text mode only, and I don't know how to use it that way. After I just installed it looked beautifull, but after the restart it booted in to text mode and that's where I am stuck. Maybe I did something wrong, here's what I did: first I copied /etc/grub/message.mint to /boot/grub/ and I did it like this cp /etc/grub/message.mint /boot/grub/
then I used nano to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and changed it to this gfxboot=/grub/message.mint
but it didn't work and that's why I am asking for help. I had to use sudo.
Walking Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Walking Dude on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:49 pm

First off, multiple posts on the same topic is not going to win you a lot of friends around here. Certainly not with me anyway. Just a tip. :-)
Now that is out of the way, lets look at your problem. Following the release notes should have fixed the menu issue so there must be something else going on. Open "Kate" and navigate to /boot/grub/ and confirm that the file "message.mint" is there. You don't need to open it. Then open /boot/grub/menu.list. Copy and post the contents of that file here please. Maybe something will jump out at us.

I honestly don't know how I ended up posting more than once and I am sorry about it.
I tried using kate but all it says is "kate: cannot connect to x server".
I have another computer running the gnome version and after I installed kate I was able to follow your instructions but not in the one I am trying to run KDE.
I tried running from the live dvd but it wont let me open any hard drives it says something about permission denied.
Walking Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Walking Dude on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Mr Fred, I used a live cd gnome version of Daryna and was able to install Kate and I followed your instructions and went to /boot/grub and I made sure the file message.mint was there. I am attaching some screen shots to show what I have there
Screenshot-menu.lst [modified] - Kate-3.png
Here we can see most of /boot/grub/menu.lst and to the left we can see message.mint on the same place.
Screenshot-menu.lst [modified] - Kate-3.png (162.19 KiB) Viewed 652 times

I hope this is of some help to find out how we could get KDE to work.
Attachments
Screenshot-menu.lst [modified] - Kate.png
In this we can see the message.mint in the /etc/grub/message.mint, that's where I copied from.
Screenshot-menu.lst [modified] - Kate.png (88.16 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Walking Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Walking Dude on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:13 pm

I guess I'll reinstall the Gnome version again
Walking Dude
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot