Mint 13 System Requirements

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zolar1

Re: Mint 13 System Requirements

Post by zolar1 »

I assume that mint 64 xfce uses less resources than KDE? And therefore be significantly faster? Or is xfce going to be about the same on my hardware as KDE?

I may be getting a new hard drive this Christmas (Samsung EVO or Pro, 250/256GB respectively) and will be doing a clean install of Mint 13.

I have a Core i5, 3210M, 8GB RAM (board max) in an ASUS K55a. The HD is a C300, 64GB, SSD.

I believe the bus speed is rated for SATA II.

My laptop is pretty fast, even with my current setup. But needed larger storage. I want to run a VM at the same time on occasion so needed a bigger HD.

Is my hardware optimal (without being overkill) or do I need to change anything?
I won't be making a page file partition.

Sorry about mixing OS and hardware, but one affects the other.

Oh, should I use 32 bit or 64 bit? I figured 64bit would be more suitable for quad core.
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

You can easy install more than 8 gig's ram in this Asus.
I saw some working models with 12 or even 16 gigs.
Try a set of 2x8... G.Skill DDR3-1600s (F3-1600C11D-16GSQ)
No idea why ASUS says "8GB max" in their spec. ;)
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Thanks for the info. Perhaps the newest ones with the i7 and win 8 take more?

Anyway, linux barely uses 2GB most of the time.
I got the extra for when I use winjunk. But may have wasted my money.
I cannot get linux and wi7 to dual boot no matter what I do.
I satisfy specs for both and yet win7 won't let me use Mint.
I cannot find any site that knows how to dual boot with this rig.

So, I am either going to have to dismantle my laptop each and every time I need windoes for things or buy another laptop to separate them. Not likely going to happen for a while though.

The downside of having that much ram in linux is that linux will use every bit of it for unnecessary things like caching external drives.
I wish I could fin something easy that will let me toggle write caching for all usb devices on and off easily.
ultramint

Post by ultramint »

kimba wrote:I run mint 13 on an old p4 with 40g hdd cut into 18g and 21g dualboot w2k, 512 ram. No real problems. :D

This is great news. This machine does not have DVD, so I'll need to use USB 2.0. I've not used USB for this purpose, so my question is! Is it preferable to down load the ISO directly to the memory stick, or what is the recommended process?
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

From what I know, you 1st download the iso image. Then use a program to 'burn' it to a usb stick as an image, not a file. In the repo, look up imagemagic or iso to usb.

K3b won't do it. Too bad too. That would be a great feature for them to incorporate.

About my post. I downloaded an 'evaluation' copy of Win7. It doesn't make the gpt partitioning scheme (unless I turn on UEFI).

I did manage to dual boot with Mint 13 with no problem. Just kept in mind no more than 4 partitions.

But my problem is that I want to use the legitimate copy of windows 7 I paid for, not something else.

And GPT partitioning with win7 and linux just doesn't work. EasyBCD creator isn't easy - every time it returns an error.

I wish linux has something in the repo with a GUI that will force dual booting on a GPT drive without complicated command line instructions that either have to be memorized or hand written down (no printer here).

Eventially I will be replacing my burner with a drive bay adapter. I want to put winjunk on an old platter drive and linux on my nice EVO ssd drive.

Or both on the same SSD drive and use that other drive for storage.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Postby xfrank on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:19 pm

zolar1 wrote:I also noticed that, in my experience, that the cpu power is far more important than the memory. I had tried several distros in the past (AMD 64 4200+ with 3.5GB Ram) and most if not all ran the cpu near or at 100% but the memory wasn't even close to being used to capacity.

yes, but if you use ssd, to avoid wearing and extend the lifespan of the drive you have to run several writing processess (cache, logs, etc.) in memory, so memory is important.

It would be better a balance of memory/cpu, for example an i3 with 4 or 8gb ram.
==========================================================================================================================
I have an i5 + 8GB ram + EVO 500GB SSD.

I still get slow downs and sometimes slow to shut down.

I tried with and without tmpfs (assuming I had it set up right) and saw no real difference. In fact, sometimes when using firefox it would really slow down.

With SSD's going to last about 5+ years, this laptop would be worn out by then and need to be replaced.

I manually run fstrim about once a week. I edited fstab to include noatime. Discard seems to slow things down a bit.

I have seen my cpu max out when running things but barely uses 1/4 to 1/3 of my ram.

It has used nearly max ram when doing anything with USB (file transfers and such).

I wish there was a EASY way to toggle write caching on/off or at least permanently disable it for USB.

On my old desktop, mint KDE was sluggish, but did work sufficiently to do things. Had Athelon 64 4200+ with 4GB of dual channel ram and a C300 ssd (64gb). A 9600gt vid card.
I went to XP and it is significantly better. Nice and snappy!

It is only used for games that will only play on xp and older (no internet for it).

But alas, it is showing it's age. one IDE channel quit. As long as it don't completely die on me, I can use it for a long while.

Another item would be nice and that would be the ability to right click on something and set which cpu core(s) for it to run on.
I could shove (useless) things onto a core and save the speed for important things on the other core(s).

I still think that the fastest cpu you can get (or afford) will do better than a lot of ram (which linux doesn't use).

I like mint 13 better than the offspring of mint.
16 is awful. BSOD's, slow downs, had amnesia, etc, etc, etc.
And I can't find many of the easy to find settings that Mint 13 has.

I don't know what I am going to do when they stop supporting Mint 13.
If it's offsprings are any indication of what is to some, I may be stuck going back to windows or using another distro.

Networking spoofing and other necessary and required security features is mandatory for me. If I can't be safe with windows or linux, then which to choose and why?

Anyway, I would also like to point out that mint doesn't work with dual booting on a gpt partitioning scheme (with win7 preinstall)..

So another minimum might be a MBR partitioning scheme with win7 and not gpt.

(A thought - I wonder if Linux can compartmentize the GPT partitions of windows into a single partition subdivided by win partitions under it's gpt and in reality the hard drive be a true MBR - that way the MBR would see a single partition for windows and leave the rest of the drive for other uses - windows would only see it's own partition and go on about it's business).
ultramint

Post by ultramint »

zolar1 wrote:From what I know, you 1st download the iso image. Then use a program to 'burn' it to a usb stick as an image, not a file. In the repo, look up imagemagic or iso to usb.

K3b won't do it. Too bad too. That would be a great feature for them to incorporate.

About my post. I downloaded an 'evaluation' copy of Win7. It doesn't make the gpt partitioning scheme (unless I turn on UEFI).

I did manage to dual boot with Mint 13 with no problem. Just kept in mind no more than 4 partitions.

But my problem is that I want to use the legitimate copy of windows 7 I paid for, not something else.

And GPT partitioning with win7 and linux just doesn't work. EasyBCD creator isn't easy - every time it returns an error.

I wish linux has something in the repo with a GUI that will force dual booting on a GPT drive without complicated command line instructions that either have to be memorized or hand written down (no printer here).

Eventially I will be replacing my burner with a drive bay adapter. I want to put winjunk on an old platter drive and linux on my nice EVO ssd drive.

Or both on the same SSD drive and use that other drive for storage.
Thanks for your post. The information you provide gives a starting point. I'm still hooked on Katya Mint 11 and Katya is no longer supported, so I cannot go to the REPO for support. I'm a MINT believer and I want to upgrade to Mint 13 LTS. It seems that I'll need to temporarily install UBUNTU 12 so that I'll have REPO support to use the ISO to USB device you mentioned. Thanks again.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

I use mint 13, 64 bit, kde myself. Petra has far too many bugs in it for typical use. I sent the developers pictures of the BSOD I got for them to review.
VERY BUGGY. Lacks some features that Mint 13 has (netowrking adjustments and such). I do like the 'start menu' Petra has. Very nice and appealing.

Mint 13 isn't the greatest but it does serve me needs. If they had a mint 13 that did not have the 'glass' and other unnecessary visual effects (sliding and screen edging and other unnecessary eye candy) it would be very good. Cinnamon lacks the GUI and other things I need that KDE has (features).

One problem with linux is that is has awful USB support. Transfers start OK then drop to a slow frozen crawl on large file transfers and no way to permanently disable write caching for only USB (No gui for toggling on/off as desired). Linux also reports that transfers are completed to USB when in fact they are far from it. IMHO when it says it is done it should be done.

I do wonder why every linux I use is slow compared to XP. I have XP on an old AMD X2 4200+ with 4gb ram. It is FAST and snappy. I have Mint 13 on this laptop (core i5 3210M with 8gb ram) and it still is not as fast as the old XP. It will convert MKV/MP4 to DVD a bit faster than XP does. But everything else is so much faster on XP than Linux. Including USB 2.0 over this laptop's USB 3.0. Go figure.

I seldom see more than 10% to 1/3 of my ram being utilized by linux but I DO see the CPU maxed out many times.

So, IMHO, you need the top of the line fastest CPU on earth and 4GB ram to use linux with serious comfort. And that means a core i7 (newest one).

You might want to get preload from the repo. It can help speed things up a bit. Works on SSD drives too (does not interfere with or use read ahead).

And tmpfs for firefox can be of benefit. At least you can utilize extra RAM that linux doesn't want to use.

Too bad Linux doesn't come pre-tweaked for modern computers. Meaning tweaks for SSD's already built in, tmpfs already put in fstab, noatime in fstab, vm swappiess set for the fastest setting, firefox autoloaded into ram, and any other program that preload deems needs to be preloaded. And of course proper USB support.

Then out of the box, the user only needs to USE it, not fool with it to get the maximum speed out of it for the hardware they have.
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

@zolar1..
Install Win Seven first on Your machine, then as second install Mint.
Grub should recognize windows on hdd and should add them to grub menu.

Ps. Win Seven don't need GPT partition table. Just use normal MBR.
Best way is using Gparted from live-cd/usb to create and format partitions
on hdd, before Win and Mint installation.
Just one thing.. Partition for Win 7 must be as the first - below 1024 cylinder - on hdd,
and must have "boot" flag enabled.
This is my hdd for example..
http://imgur.com/AVAMLPz
Due to filesystem limitations (Max 4 primary partitions on one hdd) I use extended for Linux.
But You can easy create only primary for all systems.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

That only works if you don't have a newer computer that comes with Win7 preinstalled.

Mine is a preinstall and forces GPT when reimaging.

I know of no way to convert GPT to MBR without losing Windows.And especially no free method.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Microsoft has provided a way for you to legally get your hands on a Win7 iso you can burn to a disk or drive so you can do a proper clean install. You use the product key you already own.
http://mkncreations.com/site/2012/05/do ... ows-7-iso/
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

InkKnife wrote:Microsoft has provided a way for you to legally get your hands on a Win7 iso you can burn to a disk or drive so you can do a proper clean install. You use the product key you already own.
http://mkncreations.com/site/2012/05/do ... ows-7-iso/
That is retail. How can I use my OEM key???

I will however try it :-)
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Dumb question. LOL. It says to change from retail to mine. Will take a while to see if it works :-)
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I hope it works for ya. I can be of no further help because it's been so long since I had to deal with installing Windows I don't remember anything.
Which is a very good thing.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

LOL. Unfortunately I have no choice but to keep windows around. Many hardware makers refuse to allow their equipment to work on anything but windows.

Internet dongles is a BIG one. Blood sugar testers is another. GPS updates another. And on and on it goes.

Even playing games is severely limited to windows. Sure, if the hardware is powerful enough you could play some in a virtual box. But on some games the lag is far too great.

Any more, windows is a gaming OS and linux is for the rest of the internet needs.

If I wasn't stuck I would toss windows permanently except for XP maybe. That one still has a few uses...
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

XP is perfectly fine as long as it is not internet connected.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

LOL. I have it on an old desktop so my kid can play games and I can connect my blood sugar tester to d/l my stats to a file (usb connected). It is lightening fast due to the ssd hd I have it installed on and a few tweaks. I also use it from time to time to convert movies to play on DVD. Takes about 50% longer than my laptop does, but what the hey? It can run all night.

It was online once I think (needed 1 thing) but generally never online.

Why not use XP for online? I used to use it all the time and never had a problem. I switched to linux for various other reasons. Main reason I got tired of all the work needed to maintain it.
diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diacad »

In trying to configure a minimal system with general capabilities that most non-gamers expect out of a computer today, I chose to experiment with an Intel D201GLY2A ITX motherboard which has an embedded Celeron 220 (!). The board has most everything working well and faster than I expected with Mint 13 (Maya) xfce 32 bit installed, except for the built-in graphics (SIS Mirage 1). The default driver causes horizontal chaff and double-imaging when playing video DVDs on a wide screen. I have been unable to find a better driver or advice that works to correct the problem, so I am right now adding an inexpensive PCI video card to the configuration (ATI Rage XL 8 Mb), which does fine. Since this uses the board's only available slot (a PCI at that), it is not ideal, but does make the configuration useable. There is one DDR2 memory slot which Intel claims takes 1 Gb max, but I have found a 2 Gb stick works OK. Currently I am using a small SSD which has dropped in price. If anyone has experience with this board and has advice on either graphics, 1 Gb vs 2 Gb RAM question, or whether an SSD makes sense here (or anything else), I would most appreciate them sharing it.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

eMcE wrote:@zolar1..
Install Win Seven first on Your machine, then as second install Mint.
Grub should recognize windows on hdd and should add them to grub menu.

Ps. Win Seven don't need GPT partition table. Just use normal MBR.
Best way is using Gparted from live-cd/usb to create and format partitions
on hdd, before Win and Mint installation.
Just one thing.. Partition for Win 7 must be as the first - below 1024 cylinder - on hdd,
and must have "boot" flag enabled.
This is my hdd for example..
http://imgur.com/AVAMLPz
Due to filesystem limitations (Max 4 primary partitions on one hdd) I use extended for Linux.
But You can easy create only primary for all systems.
I tried that (manual partitioning). My reimaging disks erase everything and partition it the way it wants to.

I have a copy of Aomei and got rid of GPT. Now windows won't boot.

Also, mint doesn't specify where to put the bootloader. It automatically sets it for /sda which messes up windows.

I did get a 'legit' copy of win7 from digitalriver. Problem with that is does not have drivers. Nor the ASUS software that I paid for but won't install because it returns an error sayng cannot install to a non ASUS product.

And ASUS tech support is useless. I know more about their product than their techs do.

I will recheck to see if the boot flag is set on my other drive before installing Mint.

My SSD will eventually hav e Win7 and Linux. My drive bay converter will be a 500GB traditional drive. I want to put /var/tmp and /tmp and every other temp file (thinking my never used linux swap file) on it and partition it to put windows swap and it's temp files.

But what sizes do I choose? Remaining space would be for temporary downloads and some permanent (& seldom used) files.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

diacad wrote:In trying to configure a minimal system with general capabilities that most non-gamers expect out of a computer today, I chose to experiment with an Intel D201GLY2A ITX motherboard which has an embedded Celeron 220 (!). The board has most everything working well and faster than I expected with Mint 13 (Maya) xfce 32 bit installed, except for the built-in graphics (SIS Mirage 1). The default driver causes horizontal chaff and double-imaging when playing video DVDs on a wide screen. I have been unable to find a better driver or advice that works to correct the problem, so I am right now adding an inexpensive PCI video card to the configuration (ATI Rage XL 8 Mb), which does fine. Since this uses the board's only available slot (a PCI at that), it is not ideal, but does make the configuration useable. There is one DDR2 memory slot which Intel claims takes 1 Gb max, but I have found a 2 Gb stick works OK. Currently I am using a small SSD which has dropped in price. If anyone has experience with this board and has advice on either graphics, 1 Gb vs 2 Gb RAM question, or whether an SSD makes sense here (or anything else), I would most appreciate them sharing it.
If you are using VLC, have you tried fudging the settings a bit? Caching in particular.

XFCE is too toned down for my needs. I need KDE without the plasma desktop (visual effects).
I plan on switching to Mint 13 MATE but not sure that would suit my needs.

I am a BIG fan of GUI's and despise having to hunt for configuration files or do anything via command line.

And most home users are like this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”