Mint 13 System Requirements

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 13 System Requirements

Post by diacad »

zolar1 wrote:
If you are using VLC, have you tried fudging the settings a bit? Caching in particular.

XFCE is too toned down for my needs. I need KDE without the plasma desktop (visual effects).
I plan on switching to Mint 13 MATE but not sure that would suit my needs.

I am a BIG fan of GUI's and despise having to hunt for configuration files or do anything via command line.

And most home users are like this.
Thanks - I didn't think of fudging VLC for the built-in SIS Mirage 1 - but the horizontal line chaff occurs in the wide-screen mode whether running VLC or not. I have read that fooling around with parameters in something called xorg may help, but I can't figure out how to get into xorg. Command line suggestions from the internet seem to be no-ops.

I did try KDE in my desperate search to get rid of the line chaff and VLC image doubling, but KDE didn't help and the performance wasn't as good as xfce, so I went back to xfce. When you are trying to deal with a 1.2 Ghz Celeron 220, squeezing maximum performance out is top job. I know I am a novice at Linux, and it shows. That's why I am here.

I'm with you on GUI for home users (like me), but don't immediately see the GUI sacrifice going from KDE to xfce. Just what do I lose, GUI-wise, by going to xfce? What configuration files do you mean? My experience is limited with both KDE and xfce, but so far I have never had to resort to a command line (except typing failing suggestions to try fiddling xorg).
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

When I tried xfce it memory serves correctly, some elements that were in KDE weren't in xfce. Some menu items I think and a few other GUI features.

About your chaff. Try lowering your screen resolution of you can.

Did you clean out the dust from inside your computer yet? Something simple like that can cause a myraid of problems.

You could try playing 2 copies of the same file. One at 720P and the other at 1080P.

ANd others may list them as HD (I have seen those cause probles and not play whereas a 1080P or 720P work fine).

I myself plan on going to MATE for a while. This is what I put on 3 other coputers people had. Seems less problems with that than with KDE.

Your problem could be your hardware is too out of date to play modern items.
Just on a whim, pop in a copy of Linux Puppy. Just a regular copy. There is one out there that will auto install and overwrite everything so stick with the standard issue puppy.

On startup of the live version you get to choose xvesa or xorg and your display settings.

See if that helps. If it does it can narrow down the issues you have in Mint. Say a certain refresh rate fixes the problem in puppy.
You then go into mint 'innerds' and try to change those settings to mactch what worked in puppy.

Just another angle to help with diagnostics.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Here is something interesting you night want to see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... tributions
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS

Has some interesting features.

You can try that ont too and see if the rastor goes away.

If after several tries with others versions you could only conclude that your hardware is the issue and not necessarily the drivers.

If memory serves me correctly doesn't celeron handle some of the graphics load??

Years ago Celeron was better than Pentium for graphics. Dunno now.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCLinuxOS

Has some interesting features.

You can try that ont too and see if the rastor goes away.

If after several tries with others versions you could only conclude that your hardware is the issue and not necessarily the drivers.

If memory serves me correctly doesn't celeron handle some of the graphics load??

Years ago Celeron was better than Pentium for graphics. Dunno now.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

LXDE edition

The “Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment” is an extremely fast-performing and energy-saving desktop environment. Maintained by an international community of developers, it comes with a beautiful interface, multi-language support, standard keyboard short cuts and additional features like tabbed file browsing. LXDE uses less CPU and less RAM than other environments. It is especially designed for cloud computers with low hardware specifications, such as netbooks, mobile devices (e.g. MIDs) or older computers.

Perhaps you need more RAM?

With enough RAM you coupd put temp files into tmpfs and make things a little smoother?

Or figure a way to cache the entire video into RAM?

Have you tried overclocking a bit to see if that helps?
diacad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by diacad »

zolar1 - thanks for your suggestions and interest in my minimal-system project. To review, the problem is really with the SIS Mirage 1 built-in graphics, and was (sort of) solved by adding a basic PCI graphic card (ATI Rage XL, will work with anything!), at a cost of the only slot in the tiny ITX board (Intel D201GLY2A). The Intel board is a back number available unused for less than $25 through Amazon and others. When Newegg stocked it while current, it received rave reviews for what it was. The SIS Mirage 1 had problems only with the wide screen (a mode which everyone expects these days). My reason for entering this forum was to find whether anyone else had experimented with this board and had come across a better solution that would avoid adding a graphics card and losing the only expansion slot. I would like to use the internal SIS Mirage 1 graphics if I could, to save the only slot. The only way I can see to do it now is to resign confining the VGA to 4:3 screen format.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Thank you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help as even though I have used linux for years, I am still a noob.

Good Luck!
Jamesruderford

Post by Jamesruderford »

To prove a point I run a Windows XP dated Lenovo Thinkpad X61s running a Centrino 1.6Ghz Duo core with 2 GB Ram and a 128GB 6GBs SSD running at 1.5Gbs. It is running Linux Maya 17! So to all those who have doughts as to the power of their machines think again! I don't multi task too much just web email and video watching but so far no problems. Stable and boot up time acceptable <30s. I don't even regret not having Win Xp or 7 and apart from itunes for my iphone everything is ok. I'm working around a solution for that too so all good. I've installed Xubuntu 14.04 onto a 455 Atom 1GB netbook and it runs fine too.
Just need to get more into the Terminal to speed some things up!
harry26

Post by harry26 »

you listed minimum requirements but there are more system requirements that you have not specified.
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Jamesruderford wrote:To prove a point I run a Windows XP dated Lenovo Thinkpad X61s running a Centrino 1.6Ghz Duo core with 2 GB Ram and a 128GB 6GBs SSD running at 1.5Gbs. It is running Linux Maya 17! So to all those who have doughts as to the power of their machines think again! I don't multi task too much just web email and video watching but so far no problems. Stable and boot up time acceptable <30s. I don't even regret not having Win Xp or 7 and apart from itunes for my iphone everything is ok. I'm working around a solution for that too so all good. I've installed Xubuntu 14.04 onto a 455 Atom 1GB netbook and it runs fine too.
Just need to get more into the Terminal to speed some things up!

Please post which desktop and whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

I would post a picture of what desktops use how many resources but I can't here.

KDE uses most followed by Mate then Cinnamon I think.

If KDE didn't have the plasma stuff it could be extremely fast due to less resources needed and yet retain the features.

I personally wish Cinnamon had all the options KDE has included.
Cattleman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cattleman »

How can I recover my original Mint 13 mbr, and then use Boot-Repair to fix my Mint 13 installation on USB?
zolar1

Post by zolar1 »

Cattleman wrote:How can I recover my original Mint 13 mbr, and then use Boot-Repair to fix my Mint 13 installation on USB?
I know windows has software that will search for partitions and restore a bad or overwritten MBR.
I don't know if linux does or not. And assuming it does it most likely be command line drivel.

You could just copy the data off the flash drive then reformat and reinstall and then copy back.

That is generally what I am stuck doing if I have problems.

I think windows had fdisk /mbr to restore the MBR.

How linux does it I am unsure.
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

for those thinking their computer can't handle more than mint13 I put mint debian edition on n XP computer with a 32 bit processor and (what free says) is 501M of RAM.
Last edited by bmike1 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
:)~Mikey~(:
ElectroescadaS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElectroescadaS »

I have tested many distros in an laptop i have (Fujitsu Siemends V5515/2GB Ram/80GB HDD and SIS 671) and the ones that works great is PCLinuxOS Minime KDE and Mint 13 xFce...
P4 running 3GHz / 2GB RAM / ATI 9600 PRO 256MB / HD 200 GB / Linux Mint 18.2 xFce
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

Thanks Oscar799, for your post.
Yes I've that recommendation. So i think that I can able to manage mint 13.
Verne

Post by Verne »

Am not quite sure where this goes so I hope its okay that I try here. I am new to LInux MInt and am trying to install it Mint 13 from a live CD. Its 32 bit with 2G ram and 80G hard drive with Intel Duo Core 2 processor. When I get to the Welcome screen, click on the language and then as soon as I click on 'Continue' the mouse freezes and I cant do anything further. Can someone please assist me with this.
Thank you
Verne
bmike1
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bmike1 »

if you are trying to install it because it is 32 bit you will be much happier with Linux Mint Debian edition.
:)~Mikey~(:
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Since Mint 13 is coming to its end of support time, why do we still have this sticky thread here?
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Rocky Bennett wrote:Since Mint 13 is coming to its end of support time, why do we still have this sticky thread here?
There's no reason to "move" it.
Similar dated threads/topics exist.

Return to “Installation & Boot”