CD version of Linux Mint 13 Maya 32-bit

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gutknecht

CD version of Linux Mint 13 Maya 32-bit

Post by Gutknecht »

I created a CD version for an older computer I have, I successfully installed and restored, but I have not done extensive testing. I'm attaching a torrent file if you would like to download and try it. Use at your own risk. The readme file contains a list of packages that need to be installed to restore it to the DVD version. I'm a newbie, so if you have troubles with it, I'll try to help, but won't be able to do detailed troubleshooting. Enjoy, I hope this helps someone...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: CD version of Linux Mint 13 Maya 32-bit

Post by cwwgateway »

Gutknecht wrote:I created a CD version for an older computer I have, I successfully installed and restored, but I have not done extensive testing. I'm attaching a torrent file if you would like to download and try it. Use at your own risk. The readme file contains a list of packages that need to be installed to restore it to the DVD version. I'm a newbie, so if you have troubles with it, I'll try to help, but won't be able to do detailed troubleshooting. Enjoy, I hope this helps someone...
Thanks for this.
Gutknecht

Post by Gutknecht »

If you find it helpful, please seed the torrent!
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Gutknecht wrote:If you find it helpful, please seed the torrent!
How do I do that? I'm uploading it at about 50 kb/s, but is there something else I can do?
Gutknecht

Post by Gutknecht »

If you download with transmission it will automatically seed for you as you download and will continue seeding as long as the transmission program is open and the file is available. You will notice in the status display of the transmission program it will show you seeding and how many connections and how much data is being transferred.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Gutknecht wrote:If you download with transmission it will automatically seed for you as you download and will continue seeding as long as the transmission program is open and the file is available. You will notice in the status display of the transmission program it will show you seeding and how many connections and how much data is being transferred.
Ok.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

Great thing for computers which has no DVD drive or ability to boot from USB .. :D
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

oobetimer wrote:Great thing for computers which has no DVD drive or ability to boot from USB .. :D
For computers with no DVD drive or the ability to boot from the USB try Plop: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

If you have a USB port, a USB pen and the ability to boot from the CD or floppy you can use Plop to boot from the USB. You only need the CD version if you don't have the USB port, a large enough USB pen or Plop fails.

You don't have to waste a CD with only Plop (it's very small), Parted Magic has Plop (and Clonezilla, etc) on the boot menu and is a good addition to your toolbox. With Plop you should be able to boot any distro with a USB pen even if your BIOS doesn't boot form the USB. You don't need to burn the CD for the distro you want to install so you save on CD's and becomes irrelevant if you have a CD or DVD drive because you can install both with Plop from a USB pen.

The advantage of the CD version it's that is a smaller download, should take less time to install, take less disk space once installed and depending on what you removed from the DVD version it could use less RAM and be faster. Good for older computers, specially if you install and use a lighter DE or WM on top of MATE.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

I know Plop and it is a great program. Anyway, there are some computers where Plop does not work, so CD is an easy and traditional way to install an operating system. An another reason to use CD is some dusty, badly working DVD drives, whose are working with CD but not with DVD .. :wink:
kokf

Post by kokf »

Installing your CD requires a userid & password which you used on de system from which you build the CD.
Unfortunately you didn't use the default "mint" userID and (empty) passwd.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

kokf wrote:Installing your CD requires a userid & password which you used on de system from which you build the CD.
Unfortunately you didn't use the default "mint" userID and (empty) passwd.
Weird ... to me it has worked as a normal liveCD.
kokf

Post by kokf »

Probably the CD was faulty. I made a new CD from the ISO-image and it is installing Mint right now.
syx

Post by syx »

Downloading from 2 out of 2 peers, so thanks to the two people seeding allowing me to use mint again.
My question is, will it be hard to switch from mate to cinnamon? Are the two versions quite different, or is only the preinstalled DE what is different?
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

More people are needing for seeding .. :lol:
Gutknecht

Post by Gutknecht »

@syx You can install cinnamon, but you need to meet the hardware requirements, likely, if you are having to use my CD version you will not meet hardware requirements... :-(
Gutknecht

Post by Gutknecht »

Is there anything more I can do, but BEG you, if you found this CD version helpful PLEASE SEED! I'm very happy that I have helped over 325 people, but we need to help each other so the download isn't so painful. I have an old old desktop machine that I created the CD version for and that is what is hosting the current file. If anyone has an old box they can throw up and seed it would be so helpful. End of begging. Thanks!
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

I am seeding right now, but there is no life on the other side.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
Gutknecht

Post by Gutknecht »

@oobetimer Thanks for the heads up. It looks like my box is off-line for some reason. I'll see if I can get my son to check it, else I'll have to fix when I get off work.
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Yay! Thanks :)
*is looking forward to getting home where torrents work*

Return to “Chat about Linux”