LM KDE CE, Abit KT7RAID, Highpoint RAID

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

LM KDE CE, Abit KT7RAID, Highpoint RAID

Post by rec9140 »

After getting the LM KDE CE Live DVD to boot up, and all things going great, except the annoying error from HAL and not being able to mount my virOS NTFS disk I decided I would do the install.

So I pop in a new 160GB WD disk in place of the current 130GB one. Restart the live DVD, start the install. Install proceeds fine......

Restart....GRUB comes up.....Perpetual reboots. No errors, just GRUB Loading.... then black screen and the reboots start till I pull the plug.

This is on a Abit KT7R Highpoint RAID HPT360/370 motherboard.

I re-did the install 4 times, till I decided to move the HD to one of the non RAID ports of the motherboard, and now it boots fine, I am posting from it BUT THIS IS not the optimum configuration for me. I need to have the HD on the RAID IDE ports as I keep 2 DVD drives and CD-ROM on the IDE ports. I also would like to use the RAID after I get every thing stabilized (this was the plan on the virOS but other things intervened at the time), and am looking to build (I only build my own) a new machine which too will have RAID on board. (I am aware of the software RAID abilities of Linux, I prefer hardware based, and most preferably on motherboard RAID).

Any one have a clue on how to make LM KDE CE, GRUB, and the Abit KT7R play nice to boot??? KT7R and Highpoint BIOS are flashed to the last update from Abit for this board.

Also suggestions on current RAID motherboards, AMD based only with Dual Core processor support for consideration in the new machine that work with LM KDE CE.

I am really trying to banish the virOS from my life, and thanks to Linux Mint KDE I may be able to do that if I can get the RAID issue resolved.

LM KDE CE and MEPIS were the only ones who passed the test on my laptop, with only a few quirks that are possibly correctable.

THANKS to the Linux Mint KDE developers and keep up the great work!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: LM KDE CE, Abit KT7RAID, Highpoint RAID

Post by Fred »

rec9140,

I think maybe you should research this issue a bit before investing a lot of time and effort into a Highpoint RAID array. Almost all of the Highpoint RAID solutions that I am familiar with are fake RAID. That is, it is not true hardware RAID. It is actually a software controller in firmware. It has been proven time and again that the "md" Linux software RAID driver is significantly faster than the so called RAID controllers on motherboards. Take a peek at the url below and go from there.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Good luck, :-)

Fred

EDIT: I have recently, last 6 months or so, built two systems with the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition motherboard. The only problem I had was not being able to get the motherboard heat and fan sensors to talk to and interact with Linux. I am told there is a fix for this but I didn't take the time to track it down.

Return to “Installation & Boot”