Mint DVD?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint DVD?

Postby E3PL on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:39 am

I burned the main edition of Linux Mint 4.0 as a bootable DVD, it starts and shows a background but I get an error that it cannot read the boot disk and the only given option is to restart, only to see the same error. I burned the dvd at 4x speed (the lowest option PowerIso gives me) so I highly doubt it was a burning error, is linux mint unable to be installed from a dvd, and must have a CD? I'm not an expert on cd's and dvd's so I am asking yall, before I download a bunch of copies figuring it was a download error and waste a few more DVD's

Any help yall could provide as soon as possible would be terrific.
E3PL
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint DVD?

Postby jokersloose on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:42 am

Not sure I'll be able to help, but I know Mint will burn and load from a DVD cause that's how I did it. You "might" try booting in safe graphics mode and see if it lets you load that way. Like I said not sure it will help. Also might post the specs from your system it will help those who have a clue (and thats not me btw) trouble shot what's going on.

Thanks,
James
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Postby E3PL on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:53 am

I can't choose to boot from safe graphics mode because there is a dos-like box that comes up over the options saying Mint cannot read the boot disk, yet it can display the Mint background and options. Either Mint cant install from DVD or Firefox fudged up the download. I dont want to waste my time re-downloading it, and re-burning it, if the problem is the former of the two.

Specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+(2.8GHz) (Dual Core - 64 bit compatible)
RAM: 3GB DDR2 667
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Audio: High Definition 8-channel audio (Realtek)
E3PL
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jokersloose on Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:49 am

You might try some of the tips in this thread

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD

It's a way to trouble shot your LivdCD.

Hope it helps,
James
jokersloose
Level 4
Level 4

Postby HappyFace on Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:45 am

Hi,

my guess is the graphics card...

Once I was installing Ubuntu on my desktop. An IBM Thinkvantage, with an integrated graphics card, and a nVidia in the PCI-slot. I had disabled the integrated card, but Ubuntu couldn't boot. I had to remove the nVidia-card, activate the internal, install Ubuntu. Then I had to install the nVidia driver, disable the internal card, and finally insert the nVidia...

Had to do some serious googleing to :)
----
Think big - Shrink to fit!
HappyFace
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BAN on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:50 pm

Have tried the main version on two laptops. On both machines it just went black..

The 4.0 KDE-CE version worked as a charm.
BAN
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:29 pm

BAN,

It sounds like a bad dvd burn/download. Re download and check the md5 sum against the one on the download site before you try to burn. If you have it available, use a different brand or lot number DVD. Burn at 4X speed and do so in a RAW mode. RAW mode may be listed as DAO or TAO. This is a mode of direct binary 1 to1 copying, without any additional formatting or tagging being inserted.

After you do the burn verify the md5 sum again. If md5 sums won't verify you don't have a chance.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot