MATE 64 bit problems - HELP PLEASE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

MATE 64 bit problems - HELP PLEASE

Post by malligt »

Mate 13 dvd with codecs downloaded on 2 different dates (and twice more today!!) from the HEAnet mirror.

The correct md5sum has been verified.
md5sum.png
and
md5sum_1.png

This problem happens BOTH on Live CD (live usb too), and/or after a full hard drive installation.
Maya Dictionary.png
How is this fixed? I'm frustrated. I have no idea how to go forward. Bad ISO image on the mirror site?

Need help and guidance from the gurus and experts on the forum as to what is best to do here.

Thank you.

Edited for adding additional images and content.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pythzor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MATE 64 bit problems - HELP PLEASE

Post by Pythzor »

To sum up the solution, since your operating system is “Unable to create the data directory /home/your-name/.mate2/mate-dictionary,”
then you'll have to do it yourself.

The way I fixed mine (after an install to the hard drive) was to open my home folder, click on the “View” tab (upper left hand of the window), then click on “show hidden files.” When you do that, another 50 or so folders will appear.

One of those should be ".mate2"

In my case, ".mate2" wasn't there. So I had to right click on a blank space on the page and a menu appeared. At the top of the menu is the option, “Create Folder.” Click on that. A new folder will appear with a highlighted area in which you type in the name of the new folder. (see screenshot).
NewFolder.png
Name the new folder .mate2 and hit enter. Now double-click on the new folder (.mate2). It will be blank inside. Right-click there and select “Create Folder.” Name the new folder mate-dictionary and hit Enter.

Close /home and reboot.

That's what worked for me.
Intel Core2 Duo, 3.0 GHz, 6 GB ram, 160 GB hdd; Ultimate Edition Oz Unity Star Sapphire (discontinued Ubuntu 14.04 remix that I've been able to upgrade to a 16.04 base); Linux Mint 18.2/Mate.
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: MATE 64 bit problems - HELP PLEASE

Post by malligt »

I'll give it a try. Thank you for suggesting the nice "how-to" on the fix.

More to the point, I just checked my own Live-DVD created from the ISO of Mate 32 bit dvd with codecs, and it has exactly the same problem. This 32 bit ISO was also downloaded from the HEAnet mirror site.

So, now its BOTH the 32 and 64 bit MATE ISO's (dvd version with codecs) that have this problem.

One wonders aloud how this could have happened?

To me it's wierd.

No reviewer ever mentioned this in any of the reviews that Clem responded to in the blog...Even more wierd, don't you think?
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2038

Did the wrong ISO image/s accidentally get synced-up to the mirror site, after the initial (good) release? Perhaps?

Again, thank you very much for the fix.

Return to “Installation & Boot”