about md5 checksum on mini-KDE edition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

about md5 checksum on mini-KDE edition

Postby mcastel on Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:11 am

Hello,

it seems I have a problem with the download of mini-KDE edition: I have already downloaded the ISO a couple of time, from HEANET mirror (which seems the fastest, for me), but every times the checksum control (done on the downloaded ISO) seems to fail, in the sense that the code obtained is different from the one published in the website (namely, my code is"44315932a20e145982ffd8382e452ec4" but in the website the code results "43c61c91bc0ebb0ae548e9c51afab1ca"). Anyway, I have no errors during the download process. Is it possible that the published code is wrong? Or I have some errors on my side?

Thanks in advace for any hint!

Marco
mcastel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: about md5 checksum on mini-KDE edition

Postby Acid_1 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:02 am

try a different mirror?
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mcastel on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:07 am

Acid_1 wrote:try a different mirror?

I have tried both other two mirror available (Crete and Vietnam) but they are quite slow, making almost impossible to complete the download. Eventually I'll try to obtain the ISO via torrent from home (now I'm at work and torrent download is not possible because of the firewall protections).
mcastel
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Acid_1 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:11 am

Ok. Let me know if that works. I always use torrents. Much faster than http. And I'll add, I've never had trouble with ISO torrent downloads with Ubuntu. So, good luck:P
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Never ever try to use an iso that you can't get the correct md5 sum to verify. If you do, you have no idea what you are exposing your computer and data to. If you are lucky, it just won't work right. If you aren't lucky.... well.... use your imagination.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mcastel on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Fred wrote:Never ever try to use an iso that you can't get the correct md5 sum to verify.
Fred

Thanks Fred for your advice! anyway, for the time being, I made up my mind and installed the gnome flavour of Mint. I am a KDE fan from years, but I am also quite curious to explore "the other side", so I think it's a good thing to have KDE (kubuntu) on the laptop and Gnome (mint) on desktop...

In passing, installation in this new machine (an intel quadcore, 4 Gbyte RAM, 2x500 Gb HD) went very fast and fine! Mint rocks: IMHO, the best desktop distro in this moment ! ;)
mcastel
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot