Black Screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi, i am new to this here. And i'll try it before i installed it. But when i have clicked Start Linux Mint it loads 2 files, and then it just turns black, and show the blinking thing up to the left.
Yes, i have tried with the Grapchic mode :D

Sry if am noob :D

Hope someone will help me. Will really get this here to work. :)
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Black Screen

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:06 am

??
Be a bit more specific please
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19703
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Husse wrote:??
Be a bit more specific please

I have done this Putted the live cd in the drive --> Then i come to the Start Linux menu, then i click Start Linux Mint --> it loads 2 files one named vmline(something like that, cant remember the other one) --> Then it shows blackscreen with the dash up to the left, that is blinking --> No more happends it does not start Linux mint, what do i need to do? and the the driver stops spinning.

I have read something about md5sum, don't know what it is. I have already read some other topics, but when i try to follow instructions, i stop where they are saying "then you have to compare it", Which two files do i have to compare???

Plz, can you give a VERY detailed instructions for me, because i am noob. :(

I got Vista if that helps :D
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Black Screen

Postby MagnusB on Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:53 pm

That sounds very much like a kernel panic, I am not sure why though, but my guess is a bad burn.
First thing first, you still have the original ISO? If so, download and install WinMD5Sum for Windows XP (it also works in Vista). Then use that to calculate the MD5Sum
winmd5.JPG
winmd5.JPG (16.22 KiB) Viewed 867 times

1. Here is the path to the ISO, use the ... button to browse for the file.
2. Here you paste in 572a56ec165ef6ad8f785cc7f13a5a14 and after that press compare. If they are the same, it is a good ISO.
If the ISO is good, burn it to a CD at slow speeds, x4 preferably, but x8 is acceptable as well.
Not that the MD5sum I posted is for the Main edition, if you use a CE edition you need the corresponding MD5sum..
Image
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:10 pm

MagnusB wrote:That sounds very much like a kernel panic, I am not sure why though, but my guess is a bad burn.
First thing first, you still have the original ISO? If so, download and install WinMD5Sum for Windows XP (it also works in Vista). Then use that to calculate the MD5Sum
winmd5.JPG

1. Here is the path to the ISO, use the ... button to browse for the file.
2. Here you paste in 572a56ec165ef6ad8f785cc7f13a5a14 and after that press compare. If they are the same, it is a good ISO.
If the ISO is good, burn it to a CD at slow speeds, x4 preferably, but x8 is acceptable as well.
Not that the MD5sum I posted is for the Main edition, if you use a CE edition you need the corresponding MD5sum..


THanks, i found out it is a bad md5sum file i got. What do i do now?
What is CE?

And thx again :P
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Black Screen

Postby MagnusB on Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:39 pm

CE is Community Edition (not to be confused with Ubuntu Christian Edition :)) Then you have to download the ISO again, I would recommend using torrent, then you don't have to worry about the MD5Sum as the torrent client checks each part for hash values :)
Image
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:20 pm

MagnusB wrote:CE is Community Edition (not to be confused with Ubuntu Christian Edition :)) Then you have to download the ISO again, I would recommend using torrent, then you don't have to worry about the MD5Sum as the torrent client checks each part for hash values :)


Hope it will work now :D
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:59 pm

:( I downloaded from a torrent to be sure it will work, but it is still doing it.
And i burned the CD with x4 speed.
Are there more things, that can cause that it is not loading?

:D :D :D
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Black Screen

Postby BakUp on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 pm

grisbas wrote:Are there more things, that can cause that it is not loading

Yes, it could be something as simple as the media you are using. I have found a media that very seldom fails me (almost never). And that happens to be:
"JVC DVD-RW".

If these are not available for you, try different brands of CD-R or DVD-RW. Maybe you can get one from a friend or purchase them, it may be worth the effort.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
User avatar
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Minnesota USA

Re: Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:22 am

BakUp wrote:
grisbas wrote:Are there more things, that can cause that it is not loading

Yes, it could be something as simple as the media you are using. I have found a media that very seldom fails me (almost never). And that happens to be:
"JVC DVD-RW".

If these are not available for you, try different brands of CD-R or DVD-RW. Maybe you can get one from a friend or purchase them, it may be worth the effort.


Thanks I am using DVD-R, i will try to borrow one(CD-R), from a friend :D
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Black Screen

Postby MagnusB on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:45 pm

Ok, I need further information just to be sure.
1. What exactly are you downloading? Please, provide a link to the download page.
2. If you are burning a 700MB to a DVD it is no wonder you get errors, those are CD-R images. Only the KDE edition will require a DVD. And for some unknown reason the KDE edition has trouble booting at some computers. It might just be the fact that it is a DVD instead of a CD-R, maybe some mother boards disapproves of booting from DVD of religious conviction or other...
Image
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Black Screen

Postby BakUp on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:01 pm

MagnusB wrote:.
2. If you are burning a 700MB to a DVD it is no wonder you get errors, those are CD-R images. Only the KDE edition will require a DVD.

You are correct, only the KDE edition require a DVD because of its size, it will not fit on a CD-R. But that does not mean of course you have to use a CD-R on smaller size downloads.

DVD-RW works on any size download, even per say a 200 mb. I do it all the time and have none what so ever problems running a Live CD or Install CD. I have downloaded many 600 to 695 mb downloads that will not boot sometimes using a CD-R, but when I substitute a "JVC DVD-RW" it will boot fine.

I just wanted to clarify this so grisbas is not afraid to use a DVD-RW. It just may solve his problem, it is worth a try.

cheers,
BakUp
Last edited by BakUp on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
User avatar
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Minnesota USA

Re: Black Screen

Postby MagnusB on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:10 pm

It may or may not be the root of the problem, I'll just want to rule out obvious issues first. Also, CD-R have better performance than DVD's (and are cheaper) so I see absolutely no reason for using a DVD for a 700MB download...
Image
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1255
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Black Screen

Postby BakUp on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:14 pm

MagnusB wrote: I see absolutely no reason for using a DVD for a 700MB download...

I see only one reason to use a "JVC DVD-RW" in this case, it may solve his problem.

No further discussion on my part......

regards,
BakUp
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
User avatar
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:20 am
Location: Minnesota USA

Re: Black Screen

Postby grisbas on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:00 am

MagnusB wrote:Ok, I need further information just to be sure.
1. What exactly are you downloading? Please, provide a link to the download page.
2. If you are burning a 700MB to a DVD it is no wonder you get errors, those are CD-R images. Only the KDE edition will require a DVD. And for some unknown reason the KDE edition has trouble booting at some computers. It might just be the fact that it is a DVD instead of a CD-R, maybe some mother boards disapproves of booting from DVD of religious conviction or other...


Sry for waiting.
1 I got the KDE version http://www.lintelligence.de/getdownload ... 540529/622

But now i am getting help from my friend, he can maybe do it for me. :D
grisbas
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: oxygenfarm and 19 guests