Cant see my HDD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cant see my HDD

Postby h3llcat on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:44 am

Hey guys,

My name is Richard I am a 22 year old Electronics engineer. I have been using windows my entire life and I have always admired the way in which communities of people are actually capable of creating quality free software. I have recently decided I want to move to the Linux community and contribute in any way I can.

Now to the point.

I am trying to install Linux mint 13 64bit Cinnamon edition along side Windows 7. When I boot from the DVD and try and install my hard drive does not show any partitions. I have followed this guide

http://www.howtoforge.com/dualbooting-w ... ux-mint-12

On the 4th picture of page 2 it tells me that I should be able to select an installation type. This does not happen. Instead I get the screen that lets me chose a partition and there are no partitions to chose from.

I have uploaded a picture of my HDD configuration. Please let me know why none of my partitions are showing during the installation.
Attachments
HDD configuration.png
My hard drive configuration
HDD configuration.png (21.31 KiB) Viewed 916 times
h3llcat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cant see my HDD

Postby h3llcat on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Come on guys someone must know something about this.
h3llcat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mank_in on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:08 am

First you must create free space . You can use shrinking method with windows disk management tool or use freeware EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition. You can use gparted too ( include in LM installer )
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Postby h3llcat on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:58 am

Umm......
Not that I dont appriciate a response especialy considdering it is the only one I have recieved but did you actualy look at the uploaded image there is very clearly 190Gb of unused unpartitioned space.

Some more assistance is required to solve this issue please guys.
h3llcat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mank_in on Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:44 am

Uh... Sorry didn't see a whole image. Maybe you can choose something else in installation type.
What hardware do you have :?: Notebook or custom built PC :?:
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mintybits on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:13 am

Hi there. Check whether linux can see the partitions correctly using a basic terminal command. Please post the result of:
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -lu

A screenshot of the installer window where you cannot choose a partition would be helpful.

If memory serves, the installer doesn't cope if the disk has Windows RAID signatures on it. Has your disk ever been used for RAID? I can't recall whether this causes the HD not to show up at all or whether it causes the HD to appear unpartitioned.

To find out, boot the DVD and open a terminal. Install dmraid drivers then scan for RAID signatures.
sudo apt-get install dmraid
sudo dmraid -r

If any show up they can be erased on a drive, eg: sda, with
sudo dmraid -r -E /dev/sda
mintybits
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot